Pet store says I can cycle using a goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauline

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

Here's my situation: I'm setting up my first proper aquarium, and I have done lots of research and have fallen in love with goldfish!

I've got a tank, seachem prime, a filter, etc. Now, I'm just super eager to get a fish in my tank. I know however, tht cycling is an important process for a tank. I'm familiar with a fishless cycle and it sounds like a safe option, just a long one. Recently, while at a local pet shop, this very smart looking owner said that you could just prime the water, run the filter and add a goldfish to cycle this way.

Is this safe? Is it true? How the heck would I get away with this? Is it all about water changes?

I just want this to be a successful tank.

Also, anybody have any threads on cycling a tank with pre-cycled media? That might be an option for me as well.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Here's my situation: I'm setting up my first proper aquarium, and I have done lots of research and have fallen in love with goldfish!

I've got a tank, seachem prime, a filter, etc. Now, I'm just super eager to get a fish in my tank. I know however, tht cycling is an important process for a tank. I'm familiar with a fishless cycle and it sounds like a safe option, just a long one. Recently, while at a local pet shop, this very smart looking owner said that you could just prime the water, run the filter and add a goldfish to cycle this way.

Is this safe? Is it true? How the heck would I get away with this? Is it all about water changes?

I just want this to be a successful tank.

Also, anybody have any threads on cycling a tank with pre-cycled media? That might be an option for me as well.

Thanks.
So cycling with throw away goldfish is about the least humane concept in aquaria to me.

I would throw out the store and find a new one.

By the way that would be doing a fish in cycling. Its doable but if you do it... Do it with keeper fish please.

I agree

You can do a fish-in, with Prime, a test kit and the hardiest of your chosen fish

Danios are often used, as are White Cloud Mountain minnows. Whatever you use, make it part of your plan for the tank. After all, it will endure ammonia spikes, high nitrites, toxic water quality during the cycling phase of setup

A good bacterial supplement helps, and can shorten the time spent cycling.

Cycling fish in is all about water changes yes ! (y)
It is not that hard really you just need to test and change water to keep it reasonable until the bacteria take over.It might not be quicker then fishless,everyones experience varies it seems.. You will be an excellent water changer before you are done ..This is good thing to me really.:dance:

I would say fish in or fishless you should consider one of the bacterial supplements like Dr.Tims one and only or Tetras Safe Start [TSS].
I know people who have used them both with fish in cycles successfully.
Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom