PFS vs gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 28g tank and have been thinking about switching from gravel to pfs. I've been having problems keeping the nitrate levels down in my tank and I think part of the problem could be solved if I had an easier to clean substrate. (I'm not overstocked and I only feed a small pinch every other day. I do pwc's every week of almost 80%. My tap water is nitrate free and I just can't figure out why the nitrates are still around 40 before each weekly pwc) I've heard that to clean pfs all you have to do is swirl the sand around with the vacuum and the waste will come out because it's just sitting on the top. Any thoughts on this?

be careful w/ pwc's that big, when that much water is changed, any difference in water chemistry can shock your fish, anyways! i recommend pfs, its easier to clean and looks better IMO

it is easier to clean because stuff doesn't fall down in the cracks. what fish do you have in your tank right now? do you clean down into your gravel now or just vac above it?

yeah i hate having to do pwc's that big but it seems to be the only way to keep my nitrates below 40. I want to get some german blue rams but I know they're sensitive so I'm really trying to get this under control. All my other fish are happy and healthy. I was worried though because I have 3 nerite snails and I don't know if they would be okay on pfs.

it is easier to clean because stuff doesn't fall down in the cracks. what fish do you have in your tank right now? do you clean down into your gravel now or just vac above it?

I have 8 neon tetras, 4 albino cherry barbs, 2 gold barbs, 3 nerite snails and 3 otos. I do vacuum down into the gravel and try to get up as much as I can.

Back
Top Bottom