pH down more successful in water with low TDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyway, back to the original topic...Everyone always says that adding pH Down to tap (or any other water that is buffered) will be futile because it will simply be fighting the buffering capacity and the pH will eventually bounce back up. I understand this. So my question is, if I mix my tap with R.O. and THEN use the pH Down, won't it work much better (won't bounce back up) because I have cut down on my hardness by mixing with R.O.? Will the pH Down use up ALL of my remaining KH?

For anyone interested, this is what I've been doing...I have been mixing 3 gallons of tap with 2 gallons of R.O. After I aerate the mixture, my pH ends up around 7.4-7.6. I then add 8-10 drops of a pH Down product, which brings my pH to a 7 (where I want to be). My problem as of this moment is that I am out of my KH test kit. Usually when I mix 3 gallons of tap with 2 gallons R.O., my KH is around 3-4 degrees. When I drop my pH to a 7 with the ph Down, how much KH do you think it uses to get there? Anyone? Anyone? :)

I've read it, thanks. The difference between me is that I am not adding that much pH down. In fact, I am adding about 10 drops/3 gallons of tap, which takes my pH from a 7.6 to a 7, which is where I want to be. Since I am using the 3 gallons of tap/2 gallons of R.O. mixture, I doubt that I am using up all my KH with the addition of the small amount of pH down, nor using enough to make it crash. If I hadn't ran out of my test kit, I'd know how much it is lowering it.

In fact, the idiot in the article should have just stopped with the Discus Buffer and the 6 pH.

Back
Top Bottom