PH dropping during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes totally normal. I would stop adding ammonia for a while until your nitrites start dropping. The bacteria will not die.

Really? Everything I read said to continue adding until the cycle was complete. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really? Everything I read said to continue adding until the cycle was complete. Thanks for the tip!

In my experience, and from what I've read, the nitrifying bacteria can go about a week without ammonia. So you'll probably be ok.

In my experience, and from what I've read, the nitrifying bacteria can go about a week without ammonia. So you'll probably be ok.
I'm confident it's even longer, and you seem the type to appreciate a good scientific study. But my links are in such disarray and not looked at for over a year so who knows if I can even find it! Argh!

Thanks for the input guys! god I just want this cycle to finish!!! I'm over 2 months because I had a stall earlier on in the process. I'm not a very patient person!!

Thanks for the input guys! god I just want this cycle to finish!!! I'm over 2 months because I had a stall earlier on in the process. I'm not a very patient person!!

Trust me, I know the feeling. For my multifasciatus tank, between cycling it and finding the multis to put in it, it was about 10 weeks of empty fishtank.

And my discus research tank was empty for 4 months! November until March!

It sounds to me like your nitrite bacteria are starting to work, if your nitrite appears to be not changing while ammonia is!

Yea. I use the api test kit, which it looks like most do, and it was deep purple for the longest time and now it's getting to this greenish color and I know I read somewhere that means it's so off the charts that it doesn't register on the kit. So now I just have to wait for that to drop. I hope it works fast!

So I would check the nitrates now every few days, and not worry about nitrites for a while, just because they are going to be off the charts for a while. What you want to see is a steady increase in nitrates which is the indicator that cycle part 2 is working. once you see them getting pretty high you can check nitrites and by then they should be readable.

If you go an entire week and don't see any increase in nitrates, your nitrites might be too high and it would be useful to change out most of the water and re-dose ammonia (and water conditioner obvy).

Ok cool. I'll check every other day until next Friday. I'll update with any changes or lack there of. Thanks!!

So my power went out. Am I in trouble as far as my cycle goes?

Depends on how long the power is/was out for. If it was more than 24 hours maybe. If it was less you're fine.

Ok good. It's only been a few hours so far.

It's just about the bacteria having enough oxygen, and it's only even potentially a serious possibility if it's a cansiter filter or some other kind of filter with restricted access to oxygen.

So I just did my NitrAte check and it has dropped. It was between 5-10ppm on Sunday. Now it looks to be 1ppm. I did a nitrite test as well and they're still off the charts. I's there something I should do or just let it go

I had a small bloom about a month ago but I've done 2 large water changes since. Nothing right now

The water is quite cloudy tho. I think that's just from the ammonia

Back
Top Bottom