pH is off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got an API master test kit and tested my tank water. My pH is at like 8.4 or something, and my tap water is around there as well. How can I fix it?

If your fish are fine I'd advise against trying to alter ph. Matching your tap and no issues? No problem.

If your fish are fine I'd advise against trying to alter ph. Matching your tap and no issues? No problem.

+1 it is better to leave the pH alone than to try adjusting it. Your fish are likely used to it by now anyway. Trying to change it will only stress them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

All right, thank you! The fish seem fine so I'll leave it alone.

Watr Chemistry

Just got an API master test kit and tested my tank water. My pH is at like 8.4 or something, and my tap water is around there as well. How can I fix it?

Hello mP...

Fish you get at the pet stores are able to adapt to a pH between 6 and even 8.5, so you have no reason to worry. Just maintain healthy water conditions by changing out a lot of the water every week and the fish will take care of themselves. A steady water chemistry is more important than a particular water chemistry.

B

What about fish that require a certain ph? Would it be advisable to alter it then? Like blue Rams for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What about fish that require a certain ph? Would it be advisable to alter it then? Like blue Rams for example?

If they are bought locally it's highly likely the LFS uses the same tap water as you therefore reletively same pH. Wild fish are the ones that you would need to worry about pH. Captive bred can adjust pretty easily with enough acclimation.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If they are bought locally it's highly likely the LFS uses the same tap water as you therefore reletively same pH. Wild fish are the ones that you would need to worry about pH. Captive bred can adjust pretty easily with enough acclimation.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

None of my fish are bought locally as I live in the middle of nowhere. Closest fish store in over an hour away. ? I also order online. My ph is showing 6 and I don't know why. My tap ph is in the high range at 7.4 or close to that. I just made a thread about it. It's stressing me out! lol

7.4 is fine for about all the fish we keep. It's on the low side for some cichlids but like i said they are adaptable. Just make sure you give a good acclimation period to ensure they are adjusted.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom