pH/KH crash, fish dyeing, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird-and-Dad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! Last week, I lost a Platy. She had been bullied a lot, so I figured it was just a result of that. Today, I lost another, so I tested the water, and found that I had a pH/KH crash.

pH
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415069768.935103.jpg

KH
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415069789.005331.jpg

None of the other fish seem affected, and the now-deceased fish seemed fine before they died.

Here's a picture of the fish that died today, I don't know if it helps:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415069951.812670.jpg

Thanks!

What's up with the tank? You using ro or rain water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why is your KH declining so steadily? How often are you doing water changes?

What's up with the tank? You using ro or rain water?

I'm using tap water

Why is your KH declining so steadily? How often are you doing water changes?

Look at the dots. The reason for the steadiness is that I haven't tested for a while. Each dot is a test.

Your KH is fairly low to begin with. If you have not been keeping up with water changes that could happen. However, what is interesting to me if I understand how ppm is related to degrees is that your KH is still about 3. I am surprised your pH dropped that much.

Have you been doing water changes? It is also possible your tap water itself has changed ph

Also, it seems like 3 weeks is too quick for that to happen from lack of water changes.

Your KH is fairly low to begin with. If you have not been keeping up with water changes that could happen. However, what is interesting to me if I understand how ppm is related to degrees is that your KH is still about 3. I am surprised your pH dropped that much.

Have you been doing water changes? It is also possible your tap water itself has changed ph

Also, it seems like 3 weeks is too quick for that to happen from lack of water changes.

ppm KH/17.9 = deg KH

My starting KH was 6.1 deg KH

I do ~22% pwc weekly. Pwcs seem to help. When you see the pH graph come back up at the end, those tests are before and right after the pwc.

My tap water is about 2.5 dKH and my pH is always in the 7.3-7.4 range.

By looking at your plotted data, my guess is that your city water facility experienced a pH crash. It would make sense that KH decreased as the pH decreased, as a pH decrease would liberate CO2 into the air and deplete bicarbonate ion (CO2 and bicarbonate are in equilibrium).

What I would do now is scoop up about 2 cups of tank water, add a third of a tablespoon of *pure* baking soda, dissolve it, and add the resulting solution to your aquarium. Wait 15 min and check the pH and KH. Both should increase. Repeat slowly over the course of a day or two until your pH is back up to 8.

Sorry about your fish. That really sucks.

You need to do whatever kind of water changes it takes to get those nitrites down fast. That is definitely in the damaging to fish realm.

I would also double dose prime if you have any to try to bind up that ammonia and nitrite.

Got it. Any idea on what's causing this all to happen? I mean, just the pH and KH alone concern me. My normal water is pH 8.4, KH 300.

Any new decorations? rocks, wood?

Filters functioning correctly?

The source... it has to be the source water. Have you tested straight from the tap?

Yeah, it could be fluctuations in the tap.

The interesting thing is that your tank appears to be cycling again which seems quite strange.

Back
Top Bottom