PH level??? help please*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenorchid

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok my ph is high so i use the ph high test and its about an 8.0 and i have fancy goldfish.

The kit says goldfish thrive at 7.5 - what should I do?

My ammonia is .5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Nothing. Your ph is perfectly fine and goldfish do best in hard, alkaline high ph water. My ph indoors runs 8-8.2 and 8.4+ outside and all of my fish are happy, healthy and spawn regularly. :)

So how do I get my ammonia down - 50% water changes every day or twice a day?

As many changes as are necessary to keep your ammonia levels under control. Do not be afraid to do larger wcs either. :)

Ok thanks - I'll start one now.
I also just read that my towns water is treated with chloramine (a combination of ammonia and chlorine) but on January 22nd they are switching to free chlorine. Which will have that chlorine smell.

What will this do? and what should I do? Is this why I have ammonia?

Ok thanks - I'll start one now.
I also just read that my towns water is treated with chloramine (a combination of ammonia and chlorine) but on January 22nd they are switching to free chlorine. Which will have that chlorine smell.

What will this do? and what should I do? Is this why I have ammonia?

Use a good water conditioner such as prime. That's about the only thing necessary. Chlorine is actually easier to deal with than chloramine as there is no ammonia associated with the chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom