Ph question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oyster grit or crushed coral should work fine.
I totally agree that crushed oyster shells and coral work well in the overall dGH of the water and help greatly with pH control. But the dKH needs to be held at a contrasting buffer as well. Shells and coral add calcium which can bond with carbon dioxide in the water to make calcium carbonate. Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) is NaCO3 that breaks down as needed into CO2 (carbon dioxide) and some of the sodium bonds with the nitrates in the water and the remaining oxygen bond with various other atoms in the water creating other minute chemicals. Some very minute amounts of free oxygen atoms bond with each other making O2 which is breathable oxygen. This is why I am a big supporter of adding 1/2 tsp of baking soda dissolved in water and added for each 25 gallons of water in the tank when the dKH drops low. This works great with the crushed shells/coral to buffer and stabilizer the pH.

I totally agree that crushed oyster shells and coral work well in the overall dGH of the water and help greatly with pH control. But the dKH needs to be held at a contrasting buffer as well. Shells and coral add calcium which can bond with carbon dioxide in the water to make calcium carbonate. Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) is NaCO3 that breaks down as needed into CO2 (carbon dioxide) and some of the sodium bonds with the nitrates in the water and the remaining oxygen bond with various other atoms in the water creating other minute chemicals. Some very minute amounts of free oxygen atoms bond with each other making O2 which is breathable oxygen. This is why I am a big supporter of adding 1/2 tsp of baking soda dissolved in water and added for each 25 gallons of water in the tank when the dKH drops low. This works great with the crushed shells/coral to buffer and stabilizer the pH.

Good to know for someone like me who doesn’t use pumps or filters and runs very low levels of nitrate. The added oxygen could be beneficial in conjunction with live plants. I just don’t really like adding anything to my aquarium as of late and would be worried about the additional sodium ions in my very soft water tank.

Good to know for someone like me who doesn’t use pumps or filters and runs very low levels of nitrate. The added oxygen could be beneficial in conjunction with live plants. I just don’t really like adding anything to my aquarium as of late and would be worried about the additional sodium ions in my very soft water tank.
If your tank is running is running well, then regardless of anything I've advised for anyone else...if it works, don't fix it. The only thing I'm wondering about your situation is water movement. Plants add oxygen to the water and use up the carbon dioxide. But the greatest gas exchange is done at the water surface and at least on air stone would give you enough water movement at the surface to keep the lower sections of the water oxygenated. I can't see your set up and I don't know how often you do water changes, but I do recommend some sort of at least minor movement of the water...but do your thing buddy. I wish you well.

Kh is 1 today, Gh is still 3 and ph is 6.4. If I wanted to start messing around with the ph and such what would be the recommended way? Like in my situation what would you do about it?

Kh is 1 today, Gh is still 3 and ph is 6.4. If I wanted to start messing around with the ph and such what would be the recommended way? Like in my situation what would you do about it?
Hey Lucky. What I would do first is have you tell me how many gallons of water you're dealing with. I've been an aquarium hobbyist for 30 years and I'm a retired chemist...but I need to know what I'm dealing with to make accurate suggestions.

If your tank is running is running well, then regardless of anything I've advised for anyone else...if it works, don't fix it. The only thing I'm wondering about your situation is water movement. Plants add oxygen to the water and use up the carbon dioxide. But the greatest gas exchange is done at the water surface and at least on air stone would give you enough water movement at the surface to keep the lower sections of the water oxygenated. I can't see your set up and I don't know how often you do water changes, but I do recommend some sort of at least minor movement of the water...but do your thing buddy. I wish you well.

Thanks. I’ve learned not to worry about certain things. The tank is pretty much set and forget. I don’t change water but top up with a mixture of rain and RO water. If oxygen in this tank was a problem I would expect the ottos to show some kind of distress before any other critter I have yet the only time they surface is to eat the biofilm that forms on top. Surface is also covered with duckweed. Tank is in best health it’s ever been [emoji846]

Thanks. I’ve learned not to worry about certain things. The tank is pretty much set and forget. I don’t change water but top up with a mixture of rain and RO water. If oxygen in this tank was a problem I would expect the ottos to show some kind of distress before any other critter I have yet the only time they surface is to eat the biofilm that forms on top. Surface is also covered with duckweed. Tank is in best health it’s ever been [emoji846]
Fantastic! Like I always say, if it woks, don't fix it. If you ever get the chance, I'd really like to see a pic of your setup.

Fantastic! Like I always say, if it woks, don't fix it. If you ever get the chance, I'd really like to see a pic of your setup.

You can go to my page and look at the last pictures Caliban’s Aquaopti 85 I don’t know how to link but should find it using the search function.

Hey Lucky. What I would do first is have you tell me how many gallons of water you're dealing with. I've been an aquarium hobbyist for 30 years and I'm a retired chemist...but I need to know what I'm dealing with to make accurate suggestions.

Its a 4 gallon tank.

Its a 4 gallon tank.
Well Lucky, the smaller the tank, the harder to keep the water parameters constant. I would just keep using your De-gassing technique for water changes. Adding some crushed coral in a small mesh bag to your filter can be helpful. But if your fish are thriving at a pH 6.4, I would continue with what you're doing. Fish can adapt to a variety of pH levels (freshwater) without suffering harm as long as it's not changed instantly more than .2 at a time. Your bb will also do ok at that pH level as well.

Ok it sounds like the best thing to do is nothing. I might look in to getting some limestone or crushed coral. Thanks for your advice!

Ok it sounds like the best thing to do is nothing. I might look in to getting some limestone or crushed coral. Thanks for your advice!
Yes. I think that's the best way to take care of your tank. As a retired Chemist, I know what I'm putting in my tank and how it will effect the fish. I'm not afraid of using commercialy available treatments as long as they list the ingredients. I don't recommend that you use them for a 4 gallon tank if you can avoid it. Measuring amounts for that amount of water would be difficult. You'll be ok doing what your doing. Good luck.

Well my advise to you is to don't touch anything. Now your ph is stable so no need to touch it again. If I were you I would let things as it is. Its a 4 gallon so you will keep nano fish which will be fine and thrive in your water parameters easily. If I were you I would have been more concerned about Gh but not pH.

Hello Luck...

If you're planning a basic tank with fish from the local pet store, like most of us keep, you can forget about the pH of your tap water. Knowing the pH, hardness and all the other chemistry stuff isn't a requirement for keeping a healthy tank. Here's why, local fish stores get their water from the same source you do. To keep the fish healthy, they have a system that changes most of the tank water every few days, to keep the dissolved waste out of the tank. You can do the same by performing at least a 50 percent water change weekly. Remember, more is always better when it comes to water changes. By doing this, you guarantee the fish and even the plants a steady, safe water chemistry. This, and a balanced diet are all that fish need to be healthy.

B

Well my advise to you is to don't touch anything. Now your ph is stable so no need to touch it again. If I were you I would let things as it is. Its a 4 gallon so you will keep nano fish which will be fine and thrive in your water parameters easily. If I were you I would have been more concerned about Gh but not pH.

Nudge that GH a tad and it’s great source water for Caridina shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom