PH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriend1010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! The pH of my tank is always super low. Around 6-6.4. I’ve read not to chase pH because it stresses fish, so I haven’t done much. I’m confused why the pH stays so low because my waters pH is around 8.5. Is there anything I should be doing/will this hurt my fish?

Its almost always better to suit fish to the pH rather than trying to adjust pH to the fish. Having said that, its much easier to raise pH than it is to lower it.

From your other post you say you have danios and platys. Both of these fish do better in harder water with a pH above 7, but are fairly tolerant of a wide range of water hardness/ pH. They are likely to have been bred for the aquatic trade rather than wild caught, so they arent likely to have been raised in water that matches their natural habitat.

We need to do a bit more digging on your tap water pH. You say your water is above 8 pH from the tap, but low 6 pH in the aquarium. So first up, lets check up on your tap water pH. Tap water pH will often rise or lower once its out of the tap as it takes a while for disolved gasses to find its equilibrium with atmospheric gasses. CO2 will either offgas or dissolve either raising or lowering pH. If your tapwater is low on dissolved CO2 it will absorb some from the air, which will turn to carbonic acid and lower the pH. Get a bucket of water, let it sit for 12 to 24 hours, and then test the pH. Thats your tapwater pH. While you are waiting for that, see if you can find out what the general hardness (GH) and carbonate hardness (KH) your tap water is. You can get tests for that, but better still contact your water company. Their testing will be more accurate. Here in the UK most water companies publish their water parameters online.

Just to cover things, does your tapwater go through any kind of filtration or softener before it comes out of the tap?

My tap does not have a softener or filtration system. I move around frequently, so my water conditions change which can make it hard to have consistent parameters, too. When I got the fish, my pH stayed around 7 because I was in a different area. When I moved I started having issues. I’ll contact my water company about GH and and KH and get back to you. I’ll also do a pH test after 12 and 24 hours. Thanks

Once you know your pH, other things that can bring it down besides low KH is different decorations. Driftwood for example could play a part in the rapid depletion of KH which means lower Ph. Other things that acidify water is High Nitrates, Carbon Dioxide, Botanicals, Peat Moss and excess detritus.

I don’t have any driftwood in my dark. I’m not sure if my Carbon Dioxide is high, and my tank doesn’t have nitrates. My tank lost its cycle, and I’m trying to get it back and not harm the fish. If the nitrification can’t happen without a pH about 6.5, what should I do to raise the pH so I can start getting bacteria? My tank has nitrites, so I’m trying to recycle rather than just get fish that can adjust to the pH. (Especially because I have to travel) I’ll get the water parameters tomorrow.

Adding a source of calcium carbonate will normally keep your KH up and increase the pH a little. You can do this by adding some crushed coral into your filtration, or mixing it in with your substrate, or adding a piece of cuttlefish bone into your aquascape.

Lets get your tapwater pH after 24 hours and GH and KH first.

I don’t have any driftwood in my dark. I’m not sure if my Carbon Dioxide is high, and my tank doesn’t have nitrates. My tank lost its cycle, and I’m trying to get it back and not harm the fish. If the nitrification can’t happen without a pH about 6.5, what should I do to raise the pH so I can start getting bacteria? My tank has nitrites, so I’m trying to recycle rather than just get fish that can adjust to the pH. (Especially because I have to travel) I’ll get the water parameters tomorrow.
If your tank has nitrites, there must be some nitrification happening. Full stop of nitrification doesn't happen until the pH is lower than 5.0. It just slows more and more the closer to 5.0 you get. To better help you rectify this, you first need to get accurate pH and KH values and then we go from there.

Do you have anything in the tank or filter ( i.e. live plants, nitrate absorbing materials) that absorbs nitrates?
If you can't test for CO2, do you have good bubbling action at the tank surface that would assist in the exchange of gases to release any CO2 from the water?

pH of my water after 22 hours was 7.6. Waiting on KH from utilities.

I have 5 live plants in the tank. I do have good bubbling action from my filter. It’s a sponge filter

Okay, that can explain why you have no nitrates. The plants ate them. If your tap water is 7.6 and your tank water is 6-6.5, that's a sign that your KH is probably very low so in order to keep your tank pH higher, you'll need to do more frequent water changes and once you get the tank to a pH closer to your tap water's pH, do larger volume of water per change. You don't want to do this kind of change too quickly in order to not shock the fish.
Recheck your nitrite test ( or better, have someone else test your water with a different kit) to confirm you have any. (y)

I’ve been testing my levels daily and have had pretty high nitrites. I’ve also been doing daily pH tests with water changes and nothing has changed day to day. Will the pH take a while to readjust? I’ll take my water to a shop to get it checked. Thanks!

I’ve been testing my levels daily and have had pretty high nitrites. I’ve also been doing daily pH tests with water changes and nothing has changed day to day. Will the pH take a while to readjust? I’ll take my water to a shop to get it checked. Thanks!
Beneficial bacteria that live in your filter turn the ammonia into nitrite and then finally into nitrate. Nitrite and nitrate are acidic, and because they are constantly being produced, the pH of your aquarium will decrease over time.
If your KH (carbonate hardness) is low or non-existent, then nothing can neutralize these acids. This is one reason to make water changes so to bring that buffer up.

What I would be concerned with is the high nitrites you are measuring. You need to do your daily water changes and at the same time add SeaChem Prime and SeaChem Stability to get those nitrites down to zero. Adding SeaChem Prime will temporarily detoxify the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and the Stability will add the beneficial bacteria to build your bio-filter again. You should have to do this daily for a week to get the ammonia and nitrites to 0.

Beneficial bacteria that live in your filter turn the ammonia into nitrite and then finally into nitrate. Nitrite and nitrate are acidic, and because they are constantly being produced, the pH of your aquarium will decrease over time.
If your KH (carbonate hardness) is low or non-existent, then nothing can neutralize these acids. This is one reason to make water changes so to bring that buffer up.

What I would be concerned with is the high nitrites you are measuring. You need to do your daily water changes and at the same time add SeaChem Prime and SeaChem Stability to get those nitrites down to zero. Adding SeaChem Prime will temporarily detoxify the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and the Stability will add the beneficial bacteria to build your bio-filter again. You should have to do this daily for a week to get the ammonia and nitrites to 0.
I think you are missing the back story. If the tank water pH is above 5.0 ( which it is), the nitrifying microbes that were there are still there. The fact that the ammonia is reading 0 shows that. That the nitrates are also 0 can be explained by the uptake from the plants since they are probably absorbing it faster than the microbes are producing it. That leaves the nitrites which may actually be a false reading. Without testing this theory first, doing any changes is premature. The OP's fear that they lost the biological filter ( cycle) is incorrect because the pH is not low enough to kill them off. They are slowed/ suppressed due to the lower pH but not gone. If they were gone, there would be an ammonia reading as well. Yes, raising the KH will help prevent these pH falls in the future but won't do anything for the current situation. Once the OP knows the actual KH level in the tank and source water, then a better water change schedule can be suggested. (y)

I think you are missing the back story. If the tank water pH is above 5.0 ( which it is), the nitrifying microbes that were there are still there. The fact that the ammonia is reading 0 shows that. That the nitrates are also 0 can be explained by the uptake from the plants since they are probably absorbing it faster than the microbes are producing it. That leaves the nitrites which may actually be a false reading. Without testing this theory first, doing any changes is premature. The OP's fear that they lost the biological filter ( cycle) is incorrect because the pH is not low enough to kill them off. They are slowed/ suppressed due to the lower pH but not gone. If they were gone, there would be an ammonia reading as well. Yes, raising the KH will help prevent these pH falls in the future but won't do anything for the current situation. Once the OP knows the actual KH level in the tank and source water, then a better water change schedule can be suggested. (y)
There is bacteria that reduces the nitrites to nitrates that is not working. He should have a nitrite level of 0 as well. I have never seen tap water that has no KH so he needs to do water changes to get that buffer up. It interesting that his ammonia is 0 but his nitrites are not? He needs to do water changes to prevent the nitrites from harming his fish.

There is bacteria that reduces the nitrites to nitrates that is not working. He should have a nitrite level of 0 as well. I have never seen tap water that has no KH so he needs to do water changes to get that buffer up. It interesting that his ammonia is 0 but his nitrites are not? He needs to do water changes to prevent the nitrites from harming his fish.
If the nitrite reading is a false reading, there's nothing wrong.

Yes, usually you have to go by what is posted but when what is posted doesn't make sense, you have to dig a little deeper. ;)
I agree, so what makes you think his ammonia reading was not a false negative? How is he measuring his ammonia? I have a set of ammonia test strips that give a false negative, which is why I use a liquid test kit. With limited information, I always error on the side of caution and doing a water change is the safest way to protect his fish, which is the priority.😁

I agree, so what makes you think his ammonia reading was not a false negative? How is he measuring his ammonia? I have a set of ammonia test strips that give a false negative, which is why I use a liquid test kit. With limited information, I always error on the side of caution and doing a water change is the safest way to protect his fish, which is the priority.😁
Because the OP's other thread said that the ammonia and nitrites spiked but in this thread, the OP states that the ammonia is now 0. This is why they should get a second opinion on the test results. The good news is that even if the ammonia spiked, at a pH below 6.8, the ammonia is converted to non/less toxic ammonium so it's not an issue. As for test strips vs liquid tests, both have pluses and minuses. It's too easy to incorrectly store test strips so I always question their accuracy. I also know people who have had their test strip results verified by other tests with different testing materials so in the right hands, they are okay. I prefer liquid tests and unfortunately, until recently the only good affordable test was the API one but over years of experience using it myself, I have repeatedly had their nitrate reagents go bad long before their expiration dates so I always get a second opinion on that result.
In this case, the OP was thinking they lost the biological filter bed but has test results that do not confirm that. By changing water before getting the answer to what is happening, that will not help solve the problem. If the fish are stressed, the sooner we know what the accurate test results are, the better we can help. If the fish are stressed, doing too large a water change could kill the fish vs help them by raising the pH too high making any ammonia and the nitrites more toxic. Also, if the nitrites were high enough to stress the fish, they'd be dead by now. ( To my knowledge, that is not the case.) So the reality is that there is something going on that may not have anything to do with the limited test results we've been given. This is why testing water and getting verification of the results is so important when starting in the fish keeping hobby because there is no ONE single answer that fits every situation. (y)

Back
Top Bottom