Phenoxyethanol treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterZ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just treated my tank with phenoxyethanol, carefully following instruction on the bottle. But, there is no advice about subsequent maintenance. Should I change the water ? After what time period ? When can I re-instate the Carbon filters ?
Help and guidance urgently needed .

I've never used that for treating fungus and I'm not familiar with what meds use that ingredient anymore. What was the name of the medication?

Are you treating a true fungal infection or a bacterial infection like mouth rot? It is used for both. Did the bottle say to treat again? Probably not I would think. It appears that you are treating the whole tank, but it is better when using phenoxyethanol to treat affected fish it in a separate tank if you can. Be careful with phenoxyethanol as it os a skin irritant. DON'T get on yours if you can help it.

As far as PWC are concerned, I'd give it at least a week to do it's job before doing one. As is typical in adding medications to the water, don't add the carbon again until you do the PWC. If the problem is not gone by then, let us know and we will go from there.

Thanks for advice. My bottle of medication suggested treating the whole tank for the incidence of fungus. So, I followed the instructions, (maybe the first time in my life :p ).

Back
Top Bottom