phosphate and hair algae confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok..
So, I'm starting to get a little bit of green hair algae on my rocks. I talk to the guy at my LFS and he tells me that I probably have high phosphates or high nitrates and that is contributing to my hair algae problem. SO..I test my phosphates and nitrates and they test 0ppm. I think...what else could it be...THEN..I read that the hair algae could be consuming the nitrates and phosphates giving you a false 0ppm reading..So...what can I do ? Is there something I can use to lower the possible invisible phosphate problem ?

There are a handful of things you can do to keep low phosphates/nitrates. Make sure you use to/di water and feed minimally. This will prevent them from entering the tank as much as possible.

My question is, does having hair algae mean you definitely have high nitrate/phosphates ? I do top offs with ro/di water and do 25% water changes weekly using my LFS salt water. I have a protein skimmer and feed every other day. My tank is fairly new...about 3 months

I have two clowns and two chromis. I just tested the ro/di water that I use for top offs from my LFS and it tested 5 TDS. Would that be enough to cause a hair algae problem ?

I feed every other day. I have an assortment of snails ( about 5 or 6 ), a peppermint shrimp, and a serpent star.

I mean the amount of food. Every other day is great, but if you're over feeding it's no bueno...

Could be. Still an unknown what is in there since it tests for all disolved solids. This is why we aim for 0 and re-add the elements we want in our tanks with a good salt mix. Is this a bad outbreak?

As for food, I feed them sinking pellets. Just a few sprinkles. They eat most all of it in just a few minutes. As for the outbreak, not too bad. Just a few spots here and there but I've seen pictures of the algae that is so thick, you can hardly see the rocks. That's why I want to take care of it before it gets worse.

I would assume that it is coming from the water then for the most part, as it sounds like you are feeding sparingly. I would either ask your LFS when the last time they changed their fitlers/resin as you are getting a TDS reading or invest in an RO/DI of your own.

Investing in a ro/di unit is on my list. It's just a 20 gallon tank so 5 gallons premixed at my LFS a week is sooo easy. Friday is my water change day so I'll ask them about the TDS reading and see what they say...Thanks

Back
Top Bottom