Picking out a Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryguy29227

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to know how to pick out a great Betta who isn't super aggressive and all around a great fish. Any tips ?

By itself, with maybe one snail. And 5 gallons. I've always thought 5 gallons is perfect for a Betta.

ah...didn't recognize your tag again here :). Since it will be by itself, you can really take your pick of the colouration and variety you want.

In general bettas are kept in most stores in those little bowls :/...look for one that you find appealing, but make sure that their body is smooth and sleek. Be sure to note that when you pick up the bowl that they seem active and alert. Look at the scales and make sure their is nothing cloudy or uneven about the scales across both sides of their body. their fins should also be smooth and undamaged.

Make sure the eyes are clear and not cloudy or bulging and that their mouth looks good. You never know how long that have been sitting there unfortunately. Healthy bettas have nice strong colours.

I personally like the double deltatails :)

I know when I got mine cos of the room it was in and the blue water the Betta was in (in a cup) its best to view them very close or under a light to get a good idea of condition and colour.

I just pick out one that looks good and has no rips in it. Make sure his scales are straight. + It should occasionally flare at other bettas showing that its alert and healthy.

sherlock1315 said:
How do I condition my betta to be able to put it in my community 55g.

You have to find out his personality, you could do this by adding snails and shrimp into his current tank and seeing how he responds to them.

Also you could move his tank so he's right next to the 55 and he can see into it. And watch to see how he reacts when he sees other fish.

Back
Top Bottom