Picking sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have heard that play sand is a major pain to clean, sometimes raises ph, and is really really light so it could turn your tank into a sandstorm if disturbed. Pool filter sand would be a better alternative if you are looking for a light colored sand. I got a 50 pound bag for $7. It should be at your local pool supply store. It is inert so it wont mess with your water chemistry. It is also heavier particles so it falls back down if disturbed. It does require rising before hand though.

EDIT: I looked at the links and noticed it was in euros. Im not sure how many euros 7 dollars is. But $7 is not expensive, especially for aquarium sand.

Not really sure where i can find pool filter sand around here as i have no clue about pool supply around, but ill try to find it.
Thanks guys :)
Anymore tips are welcome!!

Hi,

we set up our new 90 L using Westland playsand from Dobbies Garden Centre, a 20kg bag for a fiver. It's nearly impossible to get pool filter sand in Scotland because it's too bloody cold to swim here!

We washed the sand for half an hour or so then placed it on top of the plant compost stuff as we've got a planted tank. Then we put a plastic plate in and slowly filled the tank with new water. Job done :) I expected to have to wait a while before moving the fish into the new one but the water was really clear so we just got on with it. A few days later and everyone is happy, the tank has settled again and we've just added some new fish.

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom