Play sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are we looking for in play sand? Or not looking for. What does it specifically not have to contain to be aquarium safe?

I found some at Argos in the UK. I wanted a darker sand to make my fish feel safer and show more colouration and using a darker sand was one of the suggestions.

Here is a link to the sand I'm looking at.

Buy Children's Play Sand - 15kg Bag at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Toys under 10 pounds, Sand.

What can people tell me about this sand? Why go with play sand?

I have a tank of firemouth cichlids. They were a bit drab looking so it was suggested that I make some changes to my tank. So far I have added a black background and subdued the lighting. The fish are already more active and adventurous and they have coloured up better but I was told the real difference would be in a darker substrate. I'm hoping this will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are we looking for in play sand? Or not looking for. What does it specifically not have to contain to be aquarium safe?

I found some at Argos in the UK. I wanted a darker sand to make my fish feel safer and show more colouration and using a darker sand was one of the suggestions.

Here is a link to the sand I'm looking at.

Buy Children's Play Sand - 15kg Bag at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Toys under 10 pounds, Sand.

What can people tell me about this sand? Why go with play sand?

I have a tank of firemouth cichlids. They were a bit drab looking so it was suggested that I make some changes to my tank. So far I have added a black background and subdued the lighting. The fish are already more active and adventurous and they have coloured up better but I was told the real difference would be in a darker substrate. I'm hoping this will work.

The ONLY reason I went with it is because I though the more expensive sand wasn't worth it.

I've since switched to pool filter sand and it is so much better.

Play sand, is a pain to clean, a pain to add properly, a pain to maintain, a pain to look at and isn't worth the £4 it is already.

It's the colour in interested in. I've read a few reviews about play sound and many would seem to agree with you.

Where the hell do you get pool filter sand from in the UK. The only pool supplies place is miles away.

Plus what is the colour of pool filter sand?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412165766.167014.jpg

If it's not much darker than this it's no good.

It's the colour in interested in. I've read a few reviews about play sound and many would seem to agree with you.

Where the hell do you get pool filter sand from in the UK. The only pool supplies place is miles away.

I just ordered it off amazon, came in 3 days. 25kg for £17

It's a pretty similar colour to play sand as well.

Plus what is the colour of pool filter sand?

View attachment 251475

If it's not much darker than this it's no good.

This is actually the colour I was looking for, but mine looks identical to brown sugar. It doesn't have that pinkness that play sand has.

What size is the grain roughly? I'm worried my firemouths won't be able to sieve it through their gills. Is that likely to be a problem?

What size is the grain roughly? I'm worried my firemouths won't be able to sieve it through their gills. Is that likely to be a problem?

I have 2in Mbuna and they shift it about perfectly.

I went with the 0.6-0.8mm size.

It makes vacuuming SO much easier, you can be much more aggressive with the cleaning.

I got that same play sand from argos, took a little elbow grease but washed clear 2 bags in about 30 mins... No problems with it whatsoever and it looks great. Definitely worth getting for a cheaper option

Thanks I'll get some of that. Can you specify the colour or does it just come like brown sugar colour?

I got that same play sand from argos, took a little elbow grease but washed clear 2 bags in about 30 mins... No problems with it whatsoever and it looks great. Definitely worth getting for a cheaper option

Now I'm in a pickle again. I'll need to see the PFS colour really, I'll drive to the nearest supplier at the weekend

It is quite light but that was what I was going for, maybe try the filter sand then. Here is how it looks as a whole tank (pic was taken quite a while ago, looks better now, the java fern has got huuuuge!)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412171581.846529.jpg

This is my PFS, ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412174843.029256.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412174872.216103.jpg

'Normal' Play Sand is much more pink than this, coloured Play Sand comes in very basic colours tho, I only saw like 5 base colours.

This is my PFS, View attachment 251484View attachment 251485

'Normal' Play Sand is much more pink than this, coloured Play Sand comes in very basic colours tho, I only saw like 5 base colours.

I'm going to have to have a look physically. If the difference is subtle I'll not bother with the hassle.

Back
Top Bottom