Pico Cube RESTART

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would ar mini grow decent in these conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got AR mini in my tank. Similar light levels I think, maybe a bit higher, but I have pressurized co2 in there. It had some initial dieoff but is regrowing nicely, albeit slowly. Brookster has nice AR in his tank. It has higher light than both of us (60 PAR maybe?) but he says his AR mini hasn't been great, at least not like the regular AR. Long story short, it seems harder than the normal AR is to grow but not too hard.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408149919.881834.jpg
New hardscape!
Couldnt figure out what i wanted with the stones then I remembered i had this awesome piece of malaysian dw. Still want to do the narrow leaf chain sword carpet. I want to get some anubias nana petite to go on the driftwood as well as some fissidens that i already have. For stem plants i still am unsure what i want to use. I have baby tears and green myrio in another tank that I might use but think it will be too much green. If anybody has suggestions for stem plants that would be great. Might consider the plant that fishperson suggested but am not sure i like it that much

View attachment 246904
New hardscape!
Couldnt figure out what i wanted with the stones then I remembered i had this awesome piece of malaysian dw. Still want to do the narrow leaf chain sword carpet. I want to get some anubias nana petite to go on the driftwood as well as some fissidens that i already have. For stem plants i still am unsure what i want to use. I have baby tears and green myrio in another tank that I might use but think it will be too much green. If anybody has suggestions for stem plants that would be great. Might consider the plant that fishperson suggested but am not sure i like it that much

Eh your choice after all. AR could be good too. Lots of choices. One of the ludwigia varieties that is more reddish could grow well and give you good color.

I thought of ar but was unsure of its size (width). I may do the green myrio baby tears and narrow leaf ludwigia repens but still not sure.

Can anyone tell me if ar would look too big in this small of a tank

I think it would be a good contrast of large leaf structure versus the other small ones. A few stems of it in the back would be a nice focal point.

Might just throw up an ad on the classifieds then. In tge meantime I did order some anubias nana petite to go on the dw. Is there a particular species of ar that i should look for?

I have a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank that has regular baby tears (HM), hydrocotyle sp japan, some variety of rotala. No co2 or ferts. Just a 10watt cfl at 6500k and everything is growing well, but slow.

I just looked up the hydrocotyle. Looks like you can carpet it. Is this something that would be feasable in my setup? Im def. sold on some ar. Will post a wanted ad on the classifieds. I ordered pps pro on friday. Should have it this week or early next week. Hoping to be able to plant it next weekend. So the updated plant list consists of ludwigia cuba, baby tears, green myrio, ar, narrow leaf chain sword carpet, anubias nana petite. Might swith out the chain sword for hydrocotle if that would carpet decent.
Thanks

Should work for your set up. With the sp japan, it can get out of control and requires a lot of maintenance to get it how you want it to look. Don't cut the nodes just rebury them, might run into some issues with such small real estate.

Think im just gonna stick with the chain sword since i already have it. The anubias as well as some hygro polysperma are coming tommorow (the hygros for another tank but might use in this one). I took the dw out and will tie the anubias down tommorow. Am going to slope the aquasoil up higher in the back right corner to prevent the dw from being blocked by the chain sword once it grows out. Might get it planted tommorow or wait to get more stem plants. Will update tommorow.

So I just opened up my plants from foster53 and am pleasantly surprised. I ordered a rhizome of anubias nana petite that i expected to be around 3 inches and some hygro polysperma. I paid $11 and got this 8 in. or so amazing rhizome the hygro and a few stems of ar and water sprite. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408584754.745462.jpg
Since USPS delivered my package at nearly 7:00 pm ( WTH!!! ) Im not gonna plant the tank today. Will get to it tommorow and post some pics.
Don't really know what im gonna do with my rcs while the aquasoil is "cycling". I might just drain their 5.5 gallon a bit and carry it to my garage where I can hook a cycled sponge filter up to it.
Until tommorow,
Puck

So I just opened up my plants from foster53 and am pleasantly surprised. I ordered a rhizome of anubias nana petite that i expected to be around 3 inches and some hygro polysperma. I paid $11 and got this 8 in. or so amazing rhizome the hygro and a few stems of ar and water sprite. View attachment 247458
Since USPS delivered my package at nearly 7:00 pm ( WTH!!! ) Im not gonna plant the tank today. Will get to it tommorow and post some pics.
Don't really know what im gonna do with my rcs while the aquasoil is "cycling". I might just drain their 5.5 gallon a bit and carry it to my garage where I can hook a cycled sponge filter up to it.
Until tommorow,
Puck

Man that anubias is huge! Pretty sweet deal for $11

Still working on scapes. Hard to find time to set everything up with football practices everyday. I changed my plan a bit. I might just do a nlcs carpet with some stem plants. Possibly green myrio, ludwigia cuba, or ludwigia repens narrow leaf

I feel your win with football practice starting up. Tough to keep the tank looking good right now! Not much spare time. LOL

Yeah it sucks. I play ice hockey too so my tanks are gonna start lookin pretty rough till footballs over. I pretty much have mornings free the rest of this week then weekends free til hockey starts. Lol im gonna be doing wcs before i leave for school.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408684441.586332.jpg
Late night update. Got it planted a few hours ago. I ended up using green myrio, L. Cuba, hygro sunset, ar, and then the anubias and narrow leaf chain sword. Am pretty excited, tank looks good so far minus the cloudy water. My pps pro also came today, I ordered a gram scale on ebay earlier so I should be able to start dosing whenever it comes. I barely used any of the anubias so maybe a planted bowl will be next... Hehe

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408733873.811722.jpg
The waters looking a lot better. Am gonna start doing the every other day wcs tommorow. My rcs are gonna be in their 5.5 gal. Until the waters all clear. The betta is chilling in a 20 long grow out tank. I might keep the betta in the 20 long for a while after i put the shrimp in so they can establish a decent colony.

Back
Top Bottom