Pico/nano 2.5 gallon shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

physicsdude

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all- well, I would like to set-up a small 2.5 gallon tank, planted with a sword, some java moss, a piece of driftwood, and maybe some java ferns. The tank is a simple 12lx8wx8h. But I have alot of questions.

First, do I need a heater for the tank. I know wal-mart sells a pico heater for only 8 bucks, but is it necessary to run one? The temp in my flat usually goes from 70 at midday to around 60-65 at night.

Second, what sort of light would be needed? I'm not sure as I would have it on a desktop near a window, which gets sunlight from roughly 8am-3pm. I know others have pico tanks set up too, so I'm sorta curious what has been done. Home depot sells a lamp with a clamp-on attachment for 10 bucks that has a 25 watt bulb. So maybe if I retrofit an appropiate wavelength bulb on it at a good height above the tank, it could work...?

Third, do i need to run a filter? I only plan on maybe a paradise fish with a shrimp or something- nothing too spectacular. I do pwc every week or so on my tanks so would it be ok to do without them?

I have never really gotten involved in smallish tanks, but this time I might be willing to make a go of it. As always, I appreciate the replies.

I don't know of any sword that will do well long term in a 2.5g, and I think even Java Fern "Needle leaf" is pushing it. I'd suggest spending a couple bucks on lowcoaster/Charlie or hitting up Barter Trade for size appropriate plants. I can hook you up with some if you want.

Shrimp do well in cooler temps, as does moss. I think you can skip the heater if you keep temp closer to 70 than 60; otherwise, it's a good idea for your sensitive inverts.

Screw-in CF is pretty decent at that tank size and low light plants. I use a 13w CF in a desklamp on my 2.5g, fwiw.

With enough plants and trimming a filter is unnecessary imo, especially if you stick with shrimp.

I think the Paradise fish will happily eat your shrimp, and even with heavy planting they won't outbreed the fish's consumption. I think it'd be a bad idea even in something like 10gals.

HTH

I have a 2.5 gal. I have a 25 watt heater in there, only because of my fish (a Betta). I would say if you want a paradise fish, it is too much of a drop in temps and he will probably get stressed without a heater. I also have a little DIY corner sponge filter for biological filtration, which is working out okay, but I change about a third of the water several times a week. It is really simple.

As for a light, I built a little canopy and so have others here, with a lamp and ballast kit from hellolights.com. It is a compact fluorescent, 13 or 9 watts, same price ($13.00 US) for both. I am going for the 9 watt cause I think its plenty for the plants I want, and should be for yours too.

I agree about the choice of plants being too large. Swords grow UP and OUT... I have heard that java fern grows short and compact under high light, though.

Java fern is actually the only thing I haven't been able to grow in my 2.5 with 13 watts, for some reason.

I have no filter or heater in mine. I have a tight glass lid that keeps it pretty humid, and plants for filtration, of course.

Not Mosaic, but fwiw I've gotten orange Ludwigia brevipes and pearling Lindernia sp. in a 2.5gal with 13w CF and no CO2. I'd go through month or so stretches where I'd add a pinch of KNO3 or KH2PO4 or a splash of Excel, but mostly I'm lazy and wouldn't do anything. They grew fast enough to make me switch to R. paplentus, A. nana "petite," mosses and HC. All grew great except the HC for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom