Pictus Catfish Compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently upgraded from a 90 gallon to a 125 gallon planted tank (love it!!!) I have three pictus catfish in there, and some rainbowfish, skirt tetra, roseline barbs...anyways I would really REALLY love a school of rummy nose tetra - maybe like 15 of them or more (I might move the skirt tetras to get more rummy nose :p). My pictus did eat the neon tetra I once tried (my bad) but with the rummy nose being a little larger and thicker, would I have the same problem? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422399272.891864.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yep, red eye tetras!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm with brookster, the torpedo shape of the rummies makes them easier for predators to consume. Red eyes would look nice though. Maybe bleeding hearts or lemon tetras

how big are they? ive never scene mine be aggressive at all, actually the opposite, but my LFS did have a massive one, like 7" pictus it was pretty cool

how big are they? ive never scene mine be aggressive at all, actually the opposite, but my LFS did have a massive one, like 7" pictus it was pretty cool

If it was actually 7" that's about the biggest it will get. They only get around 5-8 inches max.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Sorry for the late replies...I crashed after work last night! They're about 4 and 5 inches. There's one big guy who tops out at no more than maybe 5...they did eat neons, but they're so little! I thought at least rummy noses (if I find them larger) would be longer and fatter lol

If it was actually 7" that's about the biggest it will get. They only get around 5-8 inches max.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish
yeah that stinker was double the length of any pictus I have ever scene, they only wanted $20 for it but someone beat me to it

There are at least 2 types sold as Pictus cats.
Via PC:
"Two colour forms appear for sale. The first, Peruvian, variety has large ''dalmatian'' style spots all over its body with smaller spots around the head. The other, Colombian, variety (which reportedly grows larger) has many more spots that are smaller, less clearly defined and almost pin-prick size on the fish's head. This differentiation should only be used when comparing fish of a similar size as both patterns change with age."

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=276

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/

As with many Catfish, their spines can cause painful swelling. You can't use a net to catch them either.

Thanks...pretty sure I have the Colombian...the spots at their heads are smaller for sure. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422830375.818545.jpg

Back
Top Bottom