Pimafix question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locorosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Bubble Eye with what I assume is a fungul infection. He has multiplying, free-floating, white specs in his left eye sac and the tiniest white fuzzy spot on outside. I got him through a mail order almost a month ago so perhaps he bumped it somehow or injured himself.
Thankfully he is still very active and eating well...yay!
Water perims are stellar and other than him, the other fish have been in the tank for several months/years. I have done just routine tank maintenance and have not changed anything in the tank. He's had the eye specs for a week or so but the fuzzy spot showed up last night. There was also a slight dialation in the veins starting this morning.

Anyway, my question is, does Pimafix normally cast off so many surface bubbles? I have never had to use it before so I am brand new to this. I have been fourtunate to have healthy fish. The bottle is brand new and is now where near it's expiration date (09/09).
I did add some baking soda to the tank several hours ago to get my ph up (coral is on order) so could this be contributing to the bubbles? I don't think so but thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

IME pimafix doesn't cause bubbles. I can't say whether the baking soda would. It might I don't know. What is your ph? A stable ph is better than trying to adjust ph in most cases. He may have bumped the eye. It would be best to QT the fish and treat him with an antibiotic. What size tank do you have him in and what are the other fish.

The other fish are Goldies and all are in a 92 corner bow.
The ph is generally stable in their tank. Lol, obviously, they are acidic fish.
It is around 6.8-7 but it was 6.2 today so I dosed a couple of tsp. I have some crushed coral on order and will throw that in the canister when it arrives.

At this point I don't have a QT. I do have a 6 gallon Eclipse someone just gave me a couple of days ago but it's not cycled and I didn't want to stress him out more by putting him in a fresh tank.

The bubbles dissapated after an hour so perhaps it's my water.

Also, is the Pimafix harmful to Cories? I totally forgot to ask about that. I know Melafix is...grrr. Blonde moment. They seem ok but there are 6 more doses to go before the Pimafix is done. Those I can put in the Tropical tank until the medication is over. UPDATE: I moved them over to the Tropcial tank just to be safe.

Can I try a medicated food for him? He tries to surface feed so I can give it to him directly. If so, what do you recommend?

Melafix and pimafix will give you lots of surface bubbles because they use a surfactant (natural soap) to make the organic oils soluble in the water. I have never had a problem with melafix and pimafix with cories. Many "fungal" infections are actually bacterial. Jungle makes medicated food pellets that are fairly easy to find. With a little more searching you can find Gel-tek foods by aquarium products.

Back
Top Bottom