Placement of Lights...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I made a top for my 30 gal tank out of egg crate. I had my favorite purple psuedochromis jump a while back. My 4 bulb t5 fixture used to be on the legs it came with about 4-5 inches over the tank. I never liked the way it looked or how much light escapes into my living room! With my new eggcrate top I can sit the light right on top of the tank! It looks much better to me, and the light seems to be brighter in the tank. Will it be ok like this??

Not such good pics, first is with flash, second without, third from top looking down.
P.S. my glass needs to be cleaned!! ;)

i would be concerned about the size of the holes in the eggcrate. if you get another pseudo, he could still make it through those holes.

as long as you don't have water splashing on the fixture, it should be fine sitting on the tank i suppose. i think the legs provide space so you can easily reach in the tank, and also to keep the fixture from being exposed to water and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom