Placment of LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
I hear occasionally from some that having sand buried like I do can cause dead spots. Is this true IYO.

How I set up the tank: 50 Gallon.

I got the tank up with the equipment in place and filled the tank ½ way. Several days later I had a order of 35 lbs of LR delivered from Tampa bay saltwater. I placed the rock on the bottom of the tank and proceeded to pour 127lbs on Southdown sand (unrinsed) in, on, and around the rock. After the dust storm cleared I said “Holy Moly” where did my rock go? It was gone, under 5” on sand. So I bought 80 more LBS of rock and laid it on top.

I always had this dreaded algae problem. And when I got the peppermint shrimp they cleaned all the AIP’s out in under a week, but then started digging and moving all the sand around, after it’s been in place for two years. Just as that happened the hair algae has exploded (literally) all over my tank. I bought ten turbo snails, and pull the algae, do 20% weekly water changes, and it’s just manageable. It never seems to stop growing back.

Would it be bad or good for me to use the Q-tank to transfer some rock and all my livestock to, and start pulling rock up out of the sand, or should I pull it all out, rock and sand, and make a pvc base to fit in there, figuring that the shrimp will dig again.

Tia.

I dont think your rock and sand has much to do with your hair algae issues. Check your water for phosphates, especially if you are using tap water. If you dont have a RO/DI unit, look into buying one. They are a true lifesaver, no more going to the LFS for water.

Your hair algae was caused by a combination of massive nitrates and high phosphates. You have a pretty deep sand bed. After a while, gasses start building up under the sand and if the surface of the dsb is agitated deep enough, the gaseous layer blows out. That will cause your nitrates to skyrocket.

See this example: (my tank) Rocks are cramped up in the back. Tons of dead spots.

fowlr_reduced_stock_104.jpg

It has about 3 inches of sand. I then, for some dumb reason, started siphoning deep into my sand. Really dark brown stuff started going through my siphon. Exactly one and a half weeks later:

nitrates_too_high_103.jpg

You need to battle the source of algae which is Nitrates and Phosphates. Bring those two down and you will be ok.

In terms of your rocks being burried, since your parameters are messed up anyways, why not get those rocks out from under? Also, fix your rocks so that you won't have dead spots. That will help you with nitrates and phosphates without having to resort to refugiums and stuff.

See the result. I (a) toothbrushed the algae out, (b) siphoned, (c) did two 50% water changes in a week, (d)bought two more powerheads, (e) disassembled my HOBs, toothbrushed them clean, and (f) rearranged by rocks.

after_the_cleanup_177.jpg

Then, if you bring it down to like 20 or 10 ppms of nitrates, use AZ NO3.

reef_transition_after_one_year_107.jpg

Good luck and I do hope you overcome the algae. They're never fun do deal with.

cool. as soon as the q_tank is set up I will do just that. i the mean time I will work on the pvc base for the rock to sit on.

I use 4" pvc couplers. they're just about the depth of my sand bed, so rocks sitting on top of them are pretty much totally exposed. this avoids any sort of construction project

Back
Top Bottom