Planning a 240 litre tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mel8821

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In the next month or so, I am planning to get a new 240l fresh water tank. My first process is a long list of "Oh I like that fish" I have a spreadsheet with among other things size of fish, minimum amount to keep, water temp, water hardness, ph levels, food, personality, where in the tank does it hang out and tank decor (substrate, plants, wood, stone, etc)

Once I have the long list, I then rule things in or out to get a final shortlist. Fish 4 is to low a ph, if I have fish 1 I cant have fish 5 etc. Believe me, it is a very long process! But I enjoy it.

Two fish I really like, but I know are not suitable for the tank:

Rays I just like the look of them
Oscars I like the big personality

I know both get too big for a 240 tank.

So, name some fish that either look like rays or have the big personality of the oscar but would fit in a 240 tank. I want fish that I can keep, so buying and rehoming at a later stage isnt something that I would be open to. Must be freshwater

Not an option to get a larger tank as that really is now every space filled!

A big personality fish in my opinion is red blood parrots. I've even seen them let their owner pet them.

On a side note.....fish adapt to pH levels for the most part. I wouldn't get to caught up in keeping fish in a specific pH.

240l as in 60 US gallons? Do you have the footprint of the tank? I believe a single tiger oscar would be fine in that tank with minimal decorations, if I'm thinking about the correct tank

240l as in 60 US gallons? Do you have the footprint of the tank? I believe a single tiger oscar would be fine in that tank with minimal decorations, if I'm thinking about the correct tank
65 gallon tank. Should be 4 feet long.

The foot print of the tank is 121 x 41 cm. A fully grown Oscar wouldn't have much turning room and I really only want fish that I can look after for the whole life span.

Also as a personal choice, I don't like seeing a single fish in a tank. I have two male bettas (separate tanks) but both have other fish in the tanks to keep them company. I dont actually think it makes any odds to them, but it makes me feel better!

Back
Top Bottom