Planning a Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've recently asked a lot about saltwater tanks, and have tried to learn as much as I can. I'm thinking that a better choice would be freshwater first, seems easier and better for a beginner.

I need to know where to start. I will be saving up money but while I am, I would like to put together all the supplies I'll need, what fish I'm getting, what tank I'm getting.

I want something fairly large. What size tank would you suggest?
How would I go about choosing plants and fish?

Any other suggestions?
Thank you in advance. :fish2:

You are correct in that Freshwater is easier for a beginner than Saltwater.

As for planning a tank, you can go about this two ways ... IMO.

1) Plan on the type of stock you want ... that determines the size of your tank, the type of adequate filtration, other equipment, substrate and if plants are appropriate (which determines lighting)

2) Plan on a specific tank size ... for many in this hobby, that's determined by where it's going, the space available and if your floor can support such weight. For tanks up to 75gal in most homes this is not a problem if you have an appropriate stand. Once your at the 90+ gallon sizes, you want to ensure your floors can support the weight (which most homes can).

Do you have a specific fish you want? Let us know and well gladly tell you,

You are correct in that Freshwater is easier for a beginner than Saltwater.

As for planning a tank, you can go about this two ways ... IMO.

1) Plan on the type of stock you want ... that determines the size of your tank, the type of adequate filtration, other equipment, substrate and if plants are appropriate (which determines lighting)

2) Plan on a specific tank size ... for many in this hobby, that's determined by where it's going, the space available and if your floor can support such weight. For tanks up to 75gal in most homes this is not a problem if you have an appropriate stand. Once your at the 90+ gallon sizes, you want to ensure your floors can support the weight (which most homes can).

Do you have a specific fish you want? Let us know and well gladly tell you,

Thank you for your response. :thanks:

I'm trying to get a grasp on a place to start. Between 55gal and 75gal seems to be what I'd want, 75gal probably being the max I could go. If someone suggests smaller than 55gal, I'm open to that. I'd like large, but not overwhelmingly large! I was looking through fish, and I'd like colorful, if possible. (I know very little, keep this in mind!) These "Cardinal Tetras" caught my eye. A lot of small peaceful fish, and then possibly a few larger ones?
Other fish that have caught my eye...
-Discus
-Gouramis
-Angels
-Barbs
Not saying that I would want to have all of those in one tank, just saying I wouldn't mind incorporating a few of those fish. I know that's probably vague, as there are several types of each. I'd like to stick with peaceful fish. I have no idea what to do with this information, or how many fish I can have in one tank (I'm sure that would depend on tank size). How would I choose all of this?

Now when it comes to floors supporting weight....(I'm not sure if this is obvious or not) but can a tank be kept on the second level of a house? Does that matter? Like I said, I don't plan on going over 75gal. My house is fairly new, I doubt it will have a problem supporting weight of a tank.

Update...
I would like to work with Blue Cobra Guppies and Blue Gouramis if possible...Where would I go from there? Thanks.

For some of the fish that you mentioned you are interested in. A 55-75 would be more in order than anything smaller. Angelfish would definitely be happier in the 75.
Discus fish are expensive and seem to be demanding as far as water quality. Probably best for later on when you are more experienced.

Thanks, that sounds fine, ruling discus out. I was also looking at Black Veil Angels in addition to the other two fish I mentioned. Still wondering where I'll go from there. :)

The 75 is the way to go, it has more "floor space" (width) than the 55. You can do some creative things with DW, plants and river rocks when you have the floor space. Don't get me wrong, I love my 55s, but if I could upgrade I would.

Guppies do produce like little aquatic bunnies, however, if you get angelfish, they will happily keep the numbers down. I keep guppies in my angel tank for two reasons; A) I love the color B) live food for the angels.

55 or 75 gallon would be perfect. but first off, you need to find a good level spot where you want to put it... dont put near windows or pathways... windows encourage algae growth, and pathways is a risk of being bumped into. a level place is best so you wont have to shim it up any. fish.. i would suggest tetras... there are all kinds. Tetras like plants, so you will need lighting to help them grow... 10,000k 0r 12,000k aquatic grow light would be good. a good substrate would be some silica pool sand... it's white and looks very good in an aquarium plus it is low cost and easy to clean.. clean meaning clean before you put it in the tank. some driftwood for structure and some nice river rocks .
this site has a list of tetras: Tetra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
here's another site: Tetra Fish Profiles
Hope this helpsand good luck!!!

Barbs noting wrong with barbs they seem to be a schooling fish. There are different types. My favorites are Denison barb beautiful fish but you need a fairly large tank they are also a bit expensive but no where near the cost of discus. Tiger barbs can get nippy so you need a fairly large school and you need to watch what you put in with them.
Guppies do breed frequently. What people do with the offspring I do not know.

a good angel to get would be the platnium angels... the dont get huge like the veiled ones do. plus you can get them for under 10.00 ea.

I would also go with a 75 for ease and the fact that once you have a 55 set up you will be Bummed you didn't go with the 75. Word of advice... Don't skimp, buy things right the first time so you can fully enjoy it all :) good luck!

I agree with a 75E (48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 3/8) as a great tank size. Big enough to allow for nice stocking options, but small enough that it doesn't dominate an entire wall. With a proper stand that helps distribute the weight, I've read 75gals can be kept in second floor areas. I feel once you get to 30gal + a proper stand becomes critically important. Typical furniture like coffee tables, dressers night stands and end tables just wont cut it.

In terms of Barbs as was mentioned by TT71 .. Denison Barbs are just gorgeous fish and in a 75 you can comfortably have 3 juveniles and despite they can grow up to 6 inches, it takes a while for them to reach that size.
I've had my largest for about 10months and it's at 3inches, the other two for about 8-months and they are about 2.5 inches. Denison Barbs are one of the few Barbs you could keep solitarily, though in a school of 3+ shows they show their more active behavior.

A fish I feel beautifully compliments Denison Barbs are Rummynose Tetras. Both share some similar colors and tail patterns, are similar in shape while the Denison's larger size contrasts against the smaller Rummies.

you can put in more smaller fish than you can larger fish... full grown 3" you can have alot of pretty fish. i have a 100 gallon and have four fish that will soon out grow it... oscar, jack dempsey, green terror and a featherfin cat... will need a 150 soon!

Firstly, while I'm thinking of it, CRUSHER, I don't want fish that will eventually need a bigger tank! That scares me, as I don't know if I will be able to provide that bigger tank when the time comes, you know.

THANK YOU everyone for your responses, I really appreciate the help! So, because of all the responses that ecouraged a 75 gallon, I suppose I will go with that. :) To my understanding, it's difficult to tell exactly, but how many fish can live happily in that size?

I'm still hooked on those three fish I mentioned earlier. (Blue Cobra Guppies, Blue Gouramis and Black Veil Angels.) Here's what I've been told...Guppies make lots and lots of babies! But angels can keep that population down. Is this true? I don't mind what type of angel, really, I just thought the Black Veil ones looked cool. They all are interesting. So, the answer I really haven't gotten is, will this work? I'm really not clear on if those three will work together, before I add any others to this list I'm trying to create.
I really just wanted to work with those Blue Cobra Guppies. :p I really like them, haha. So thoughts?
Edit: I've also been told to just stick with males with the Guppies.

Angels are predators so they will help with the guppies. If by chance they do get out of hand im sure your local fish store will be happy to take a bunch off your hands and prob give you a little store credit too :)

If I go with those three fish, how many can I have of each in the aquarium? And what about plants? How do I decide on that?

Back
Top Bottom