Planning my 210 gallon reef tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got two of those lights Mr.X suggested, and My corals love them. I plan on upgrading my 90 gallon to a 180 gallon soon so I will be buying another one. Very powerful lights.

NO. The one I use do not have moonlights. However, you could turn the whites off and the blues way down and view the tank this way. I would still shut them off before bed though. True moonlights do not light the tank enough to actually see things happening. They are just supposed to simulate the moon (Out in the ocean, when the moon is full, You won't be able to see much of anything).

Moon light using cheap LEDs.

I run over 500 gallons with tons of coral. I have used the "cheap" Chinese fixtures since they came out. They aren't even dimmable.

They work great. I have more expensive led fixtures that don't work one ounce better. Yes, they are cheap, but at $120 a piece, I consider them almost a throw away. I keep extra drivers around and in 3 years I have replaced one. They are also super cheap.

I know you went with glass.

IMO glass is heavy and in thickness's over 1/2" it is green in color. Low lead glass is very clear but very expensive. You can only do pretty simple shapes with glass. Glass requires soft silicon for sealing unless it is a cast tank, and then it can be almost any shape $$$$
Glass isn't as good an thermal insulator as acrylic.
But it is scratch resistant!

Acrylic is a bit cheaper, lighter and as clear as low lead glass. It can be bent into almost any shape. The seams are fused together, no silicon seals.
But it scratches easier.

So for huge tanks, it's probably acrylic, smaller tanks its low lead if you can afford it.

Attachments

• image-884421328.jpg
    image-884421328.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Thought I needed to give an update as I'm closing in. I'm almost there! I'm about to finish paying off my brand new 210G tank. I scored a free canopy stand with it! I have nothing else and have come up with no plans. Do you think I should get the lighting next?

Idk if you are planning on going led or not but they pay for themselves over the course of a few years.

Ya those will work great, usually there around $150 though. Search through some lighting questions on here and you'll find a link. Each unit covers 24"x24"

Back
Top Bottom