Plant Advice Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NayaVe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!

I have recently setup a new aquarium that I have put live plants in. They are doing great and have been growing like crazy! Not to mention, they've been keeping my aquarium perfectly balanced.. I am, however, curious to know if there is any maintenance that needs to be done. I am really new to all of this. So any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! [emoji4]

I don’t have any plant advice right now but I saw that you have two comet goldfish with a betta in a three gallon tank. I feel this is a lot and they aren’t good tank mates. Goldfish also need more room to move around. The amount of waste produced would require a weekly WC. This is an acceptable size for a betta to live by itself but not to thrive in. You could do weekly WC but it would stress out your betta but if you don’t do it weekly the fish could get ammonia poisoning. Another thing is goldfish are fin nippers, a bettas worst nightmare. Ghost shrimp would do great in your tank as I know you already have them. But in all it’s a bad idea for the betta and goldfish. Correct me if I’m wrong on anything.

I don’t have any plant advice right now but I saw that you have two comet goldfish with a betta in a three gallon tank. I feel this is a lot and they aren’t good tank mates. Goldfish also need more room to move around. The amount of waste produced would require a weekly WC. This is an acceptable size for a betta to live by itself but not to thrive in. You could do weekly WC but it would stress out your betta but if you don’t do it weekly the fish could get ammonia poisoning. Another thing is goldfish are fin nippers, a bettas worst nightmare. Ghost shrimp would do great in your tank as I know you already have them. But in all it’s a bad idea for the betta and goldfish. Correct me if I’m wrong on anything.
They all seem to be getting along just fine and my tank has been in great condition since setup. And to be honest, I only got the comets to help "start up" my tank. I honestly didn't even think they'd survive.. which is why I chose cheap feeder fish.. but they seem incredibly happy. The Betta seems more than happy as well. He's active and eats.. a LOT! Lol. He's even found himself a little hidden spot where he sleeps at night. It's quite cute!
On another note, I've grown really fond of this whole aquarium thing and plan on getting a larger setup within the next month or two. And at that point, I can move some of the fish around to make them even more comfortable.

As it might seem every thing is good and you say you plan to get a bigger tank in a few months it’s still not a good set up for those fish. I understand you got the comets to set up the tank and they weren’t supposed to live but next time try and use feeder guppies for that. Comets can get up to a foot they won’t grow this big in this tank causing stunting so while they stop growing, their organs however will keep growing . It’s great that they don’t seem to be bullying each other though I would just keep an eye on that and watch out for signs of stress and bullying And stay on top of maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom