plant ID, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zachxlutz

Aquarium Advice Regular
grew this from a bulb and when i posted what i thought it was in another post, i had a few disagreements. so if you know what it is, please let me know. also, if you have experience with this plant, is it possible to trim off the stems coming up and leave floating and have them form roots in the water to be transplanted to a new tank?

these are the underwater leaves:
img_634860_0_d648a17a9561515da0421c34a97230bd.jpg

this is a full shot, showing leaves and stems coming up to surface.
img_634860_1_ca432ebf5044a0a15bcc4d284cd4791f.jpg

this is an ariel shot showing the leaves that have come up on stems to the surface. the greener one in the center has been on the surface for about three days, and the other two literally came up from the base of the plant in 1 day! they just emerged on the surface last night.
img_634860_2_1859c9bc866d9948160a96c9ecd4b938.jpg

it looks similar to that, yet my leaves on top of the water aren't spiny on the sides... i'm still not sure thats exactly what it is. i guess if it flowers i'll be 100% sure.

I think it is "Dwarf lotus" - Nymphaea stellata. If you trim the stem the leaves will just die. It will send rooted plantlets off the bulb though. You can keep trimming the leaves as it heads to the surface if you prefer a bushy, low grown plant.

Back
Top Bottom