Plant Melt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got an anubius congensis awhile back and it seemed to be doing fine. Then all of a sudden it got some weird stuff which I posted about. It went away after I put it back into my main tank, but then my leaves started decaying one by one. I now have exactly two leaves left on my plant and it looks kinda sad. Any advice on if this is plant melt and if so how do I fix it. Also are my water parimeters important? If so, any advice on a good testing kit?

Here's some pics. The remaining two leaves aren't the healthiest either. It's kinda hard to tell but the roots are all brown and only one short green thing that I think is a root is healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_5304.jpg
    IMG_5304.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5299.jpg
    IMG_5299.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 58
You may have buried it too far into the substrate. Just bury the roots and nothing else. If you go too far it can rit the whole plant.
I always leave mine to lightly cling to rocks or driftwood.

If that's not what happened then did it get covered in too much algae? I didn't see your other post.

I tried to keep just the roots buried as I don't have anything that the plant could cling to besides other plants but I'm pretty sure I didn't bury the rhizome. My other post was about some weird black-brown scum right where the leaves and stems connected not sure if that's algae tho. It seems to be gone now. Also just noticed some holes in the remaining leaves. Could Magma (my betta) be nibbling on them? Thanks for your help!

Old it could be excess phosphate or nitrates in the water. What are your parameters? Are any of the other plants affected?

I don't actually know my parameters as I don't have a testing kit yet. Should I get one? If so, any advice on a good kit? My only other plants are moss balls, and they seem fine. It's just the one plant that's not doing well.

Yes getting a test kit will help. Liquid test kits are better than the strips. Most stores will test it for free for you.
In the meantime try doing a few larger water changes and see if there's any improvement.
Moss balls are pretty much indestructible.

Back
Top Bottom