plant selection help/suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjouben

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now that my aquarium has cycled, and I've won the war on algae, I'm ready to really get my aquascape going. I have an image in my brain as to what I want this to look like, but I need help finding the plants that fit my idea.

You can fit what I know about aquatic plant species on the tip of a needle, and I was hoping you guys could help me pick some more plants.

Here's what I have so far:
Microsorum pteropus x 3
Anubias Barteri var. Nana x 1
Cabomba Caroliniana x 10ish

Here's what I have ordered:
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Limnophila Aquatica

What I want in the background are plants that have needle-like leaves, are fairly bushy, don't tend to grow to much larger than 30cm, and (the kicker) have white or very pale leaves or leaf tips.

For the foreground/midground I'd like some more suggestions for small broad leaf plants (I think the HC and nana's will do nicely, but variety can't be a bad thing). Maybe some moss balls?

20L_006_kneon.jpg

here's a picture of a happy black neon, you can see the nana to the left, java to the right and cabomba in the back.

The tank stats:
20L (30" x 12" x 12")
65W PC 50/50 (10K/460nm) w/LED moon light
Penguin Biowheel 200 (w/PO4 & silicia media added)
100W SS Heater with remote temp probe
Nutrafin Natural Plant System CO2 (the one with the packets)
20lbs EC covered by 20lbs Tahiti Moon Sand substrate

~rj

ps. after writing all this I realized that if spilled the beans my concept, you guys would have better ideas for plants so, ...
think: "Snow-Capped Mountain"

well with 65w of 50/50 light, you only have about 32w of good plant spectrum, which is about 1.5wpg, so still barely medium light, though you don't have even coverage from one bulb, so I'd really call it a strong low light tank...some medium plants without delicate needs should do fine.

Back
Top Bottom