Plant Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank: 30 gal (36l x 12w x 18h)
Running 1 mo+ (cycled)

Water Params

Temp: 80 F
pH: 7.5
Ammonia (ppm): 0
NitrIte (ppm): 0
NitrAte (ppm): 5

No ferts or CO2

Lighting: 36" T5HO 2x39w ... 1 6700K white, 1 blue bulb

Fish: None yet (stock list: 2x Bolivian Rams, 4x Otocinclus, 10x Card. Tetras, 7x Hatchets)

Plants: Java Fern, Anubias Nana

Substrate: Sand

I am wondering what sort of plants to put in - I am hoping to buy my plants today! I have the day off work at last.

I have mostly stuck to java fern and anubias nana in a throw 'em in and forget 'em kind of capacity, but I'd like to have more diverse shapes and maybe something with a little different color.

I am not dosing ferts so I figured I should have some sort of stem plants to keep algae from growing. I know I want java moss, a few more ferns, and another anubias plant. What else would work in my set-up?

BTW I have driftwood and one porous rock.

Instead of listing everything that you could possible grow with that lighting, you can look here: PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide for a good guide. Thats the medium list...you could grow anything from that down to low.
If you don't plan to dose, the plants on that list that I'd stay away from are: Pearlweed, Primrose, and Hemianthius callitrichoides (not a medium light plants IMO). Otherwise, there are plenty of stem plants that would grow fine without fertilizers. Rotala rotundifolia, Pennywort, Hornwort, and Anacharis are some examples.

Cryptocorynes are cool plants that come in different sizes.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I ended up with these plants:

Java Fern x 7
Anubias Nana x 4
Wisteria x 2
Corkscrew Va x 5
Hygrophila x 1
Hornwort x 2

I will be picking up some java moss and perhaps a Narrow Leaf Chain Sword soon.

Thanks for the help.

i would ditch the hornwort. its known to shed. its better for big tanks or pond. it sucks up ferts like crazy. what kind of hygro? i have all those plants i am by the lbc. pm me.

Back
Top Bottom