Planted 10 gal RCS journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dose excel at about .5ml/gal with Amano shrimp , been a few months with no deaths.

Ditto. I just remembered there is an Amano in my planted tank which gets about 0.5 mL/gal of glut. No negative effects so far.
that one random Amano huh? I never see them anymore, they chowed all my bba(thanks guys) and went into hiding!

that one random Amano huh? I never see them anymore, they chowed all my bba(thanks guys) and went into hiding!

The Amano was too aggressive when it came to feeding time in the RCS tank ("This wafer is MINE!") and it's services were put to better use in a planted tank with no bottom feeders. It is pretty subtle most of the time and other times it's like a bear running through a forest.

You'd want to go easy on the glut with shrimp. I think it was JKeating8 or misterpenguin4 that lost most or all of their shrimp because of an excel overdose. Not say don't use it, just don't be over zealous with it.

You really cannot go wrong with the liquid Seachem products. They work. After a while it might get costly. However, this is a 10 gallon tank so this might offset the cost a bit. I am just starting out with PPS Pro in a 20g. I like that you can adjust the portions of the ferts as needed (e.g. Omitting the nitrate dosing). I am still in the adjustment phase. For the most part I have been growing green plants; started with some red plants a couple of months ago. They look more bronze than red. Prior to PPS Pro, I was using a combination of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, Excel, API Leaf Zone, Aqua Fertz root pellets, and DIY CO2 with good results.

I have a pair of clamp on 13w CFLs in a grow out tank but I do not have any red plants in there (yet). I have some regular Althernaria reineckii (AR) that needs some trimming. I might throw the cuttings in the grow out tank and see how they do under those lamps (change in color, leaf size, growth rate). There is also some direct sunlight that hits the tank for several hours so that will throw off the "experiment".

Hope the algae gets under control. I have battled Blackbeard, stag horn, string algae this past year.

Sounds like you have some knowledgable followers here so keep the questions coming.

Definitely wasn't me. LOL. I'm all for testing boundaries, though. ;) in my 17, I I was dosing 25mls of glut everyday. I had a few crystal reds and some PFRs. I got lazy when I started noticing I didn't get algae if I didn't dose, so now I don't at all. Haha.

Thanks for all the great advice! I have a battle plan now! I'll keep you guys updated on how the tank moves along!

Definitely wasn't me. LOL. I'm all for testing boundaries, though. ;) in my 17, I I was dosing 25mls of glut everyday. I had a few crystal reds and some PFRs. I got lazy when I started noticing I didn't get algae if I didn't dose, so now I don't at all. Haha.

Okay...it might have been one of the "Brians" on this site. Wow, that is a lot of glut you were dosing! Funny how you think you've got it figured out, and then...oh well, good to know.

Not me either... I dose Glut but very very lean. 25mls is a crazy amount. Can't believe the shrimp survived off that! Wowzers!

Rivercats told me it was best never to go over 1ml/1g. Even that makes me nervous with some fauna. IMHO 1ml/2g is max, as I never saw any additional benefit going higher. OS,

Okay, found the thread ( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271648http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271648 ). It was misterpenguin4, post #20. I know I saw it somewhere. No soy loco.

I guess the message here is most fertilizer additives are shrimp safe, however, when using any liquid carbon sources such as API CO2 booster, Seachem Flourish Excel, Glutaraldehyde, etc just don't go over board with it.

Keep posting pictures of your tank so that we can follow its progress.

Ordered the ferts and a couple more plants from a local vendor, they should arrive tuesday afternoon. Couldnt get the glut thought, so I will be making a DIY CO2 system and see how it goes.

Did some triming and got a small cladophora ball from a friend, front bottom right. Couldnt figure out where to put it, any ideas?

Attachments

• image-1621653476.jpg
    image-1621653476.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1981093530.jpg
    image-1981093530.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 101
Ferts and some plants will be arriving in a couple of hours and the DIY CO2 system is almost ready to go. Will post photos later tonight.

Sweet! Can't wait too see how the co2 does! I'm this...... Close to doing one up myself!

Lysimachia Aurea, first time I´ve kept it, so hopefully it will work in the tank.

Attachments

• image-1196084605.jpg
    image-1196084605.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom