Planted 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueramboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been working on setting up a planted 10g and have worked on trying to get a good stock for it. I think I have finally come up with following:
3 guppies
2 (Pair) Fundulopanchax gardneri Inidere killifish
1 Dwarf Gourami or Honey sunset gourami
2 (Pair) peacock gudgeons
3 otos
I will probably add them in that order over the next few months. Out of all those, I have only kept otos and the gouramis before. This is a fully planted aquarium and I will be doing a water change each week so I think the bio-load would be alright. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I also might take out the gourami option. So let me know what you think and if you have any tips or experience with these fish. Look forward to your answers. Thanks in advance for the help.

You already know that I have peacocks. I also have killifish. I am not sure how territorial they get when breeding though. I have another kind of non-annuals and they don't mind the pygmy corys I have in with them. (I am going to the Chicago Killifish Assoc. meeting Saturday if you have any specific questions you want me to ask while I'm there)

Ok thanks. I have a few questions you can probably answer. How hardy are they? Are they fin nippers and do they ever get aggressive? Can they be bullied by anything I plan on getting?

I had one gardeniri and he didn't make it. I couldn't get him to eat. They like cooler temps than the peacocks. I keep my killi tank at 76 and my peacocks at 80. The pair I have now A. lobaye are not aggressive with the pygmy corys. The swim all over the tank and tend to stay mostly in the middle region when not exploring. I have heard some types can be very aggressive.
If anything in your tank were to be a bully I'm guessing it would maybe be the gourami?

That's what I was thinking. I may not go with one. What level do killies swim in? I am also guessing peacocks are bottom?

I wouldn't reccomended killis and gudgeons in a 10, maybe clown or lyre tail killis.. but still not sure it's a great idea??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Peacocks are bottom and killis are mid level. Do you have a plan in case of fry? Might want to leave extra room in your tank to account for some.

Well I could feed the fry to my Jack Dempsey. He would enjoy it. Don't mean to offend you with that or anything though. I have read that peacocks will take advantage of the live food, not sure of that is true or not.

No offense taken at all. Peacocks can be hard to feed. The dude whose contact info I gave you only feeds live and frozen foods or at least he used to. It was 2 years before I got mine to take any flake.

Good, ive seen some people get pretty pissed over others saying that. But anyways, Im sure between killi and guppy fry they should be alright till I get em to eat flakes. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Honestly in my opinion you should pick either killis or peacocks. I think the temp preferences are too far apart. low to mid 70's for killis and 80 to 82 for peacocks. If it were me I'd try to the peacocks first. They are really lovely little fish. You'll need some pvc pipe cut into small tubes and zip tied together and they will spawn in those. Its fun to watch the males fan the eggs.

Wel the kill will only live about 2 to 3 years, so I would say the peacock is longer lived. As for more hardly I couldn't say for sure. The killis lay their eggs on plants and it takes a couple weeks usually for them to hatch and the parents are generally not as cannibalistic as the peacocks.

Decisions decisions.... Once again you have helped me a ton brennae thanks for all the advice.

If you want multiple killies then go with something other than gardeneri, they are a bit aggressive ime. Chromaphyosemion species on the other hand are quite docile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom