Planted cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidguy14

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering how hard it would be to turn an established cichlid tank into a well planted one. I was wanting a ground cover plant but Im afraid the cichlids will bury it because they like to move the sand around. And like I said the substrate is sand, And I don t think there are many plants that can grow in Sand. I also have about a seven inch pleco , 5 inch Raphael catfish ,and a 6 inch dino bichir,and five cichlids they all like to move things around. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try tying Anubias or Java Ferns to wood or rock. Some Cichlids will chow on plants some won't. Offer some Spinach or Romaine to keep plants intact.

Plants grow in sand just fine. I use root tabs.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks I have been giving them spinach every now and then and I will try tying them to some of the driftwood I have. Thanks

It depends on the type of cichlid. Most will destroy plants with glee, especially the Africans. I had some extra water sprite at one point and put a fist sized bush in my tank. The next day it was down to nothing but a stump. Large cichlids will uproot them quite often, especially if they are diggers.

Thanks that helps a lot

Does anybody know about a good ground cover plant

It depends on the type of cichlid. Most will destroy plants with glee, especially the Africans. I had some extra water sprite at one point and put a fist sized bush in my tank. The next day it was down to nothing but a stump. Large cichlids will uproot them quite often, especially if they are diggers.

+1 Africans love to destroy plants.
All my tanks have substrate that is sand or sand-like. Dwarf sag and Pygmy chain sword and microsword are great ground cover plants.

Sent with my fingers

Marimo moss balls actually do pretty well with cichlids in my experience because the plant is movable and so the cichlids can just roll it around without having it being torn out of the substrate.

Sent with my fingers

OK thanks I have been thinking about getting moss balls because they look cool and ad a zen feeling to the tank. And what is interesting is that I have an onion plant and they haven't eaten it yet. Thanks

Hello I was wondering if anybody could t?ell me what fish this is thanks

Attachments

• 1404924688645.jpg
    1404924688645.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom