Planted ECO-Complete as substrate in Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omegasupreme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since I have moved I've decided to take my 75gal in another direction and set up an African Cichlid tank. Previously, the tank was set up as a planted tank using 120lbs of planted ECO-complete substrate. My question is whether I can continue to use this substrate and whether it will maintain the pH Africans require. Or would it be wise to replace all the substrate ($$$) with something more suitable. Could I supplement 40lbs or so of the Eco-Complete made specifically for Africans with the current substrate. Thanks for your help

IMO I would use nothing but Carib Sea's Eco-Complete African Cichlid Sand but I know that can get expensive real quick (I bought four bags of it myself in the last month or so). I don't see that the Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium substrate used by itself provides any noticeable benefit regarding the pH recommended for African cichlids. Mixing the two does sound like a good compromise although I haven't tried it myself.

Back
Top Bottom