Planted HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone every done a planted HOB with a Marineland Penguin bio wheel filter? I have the 150B. I just heard about planted HOBs and I'd like to try something really really simple while I find out more about it. I have some pothos clippings, can I just stick them in the HOB? Or am I fooling myself that it can be that easy? Is it ok to leave the lid off the filter to make room for the plants? I'm so excited to learn more about this!:flowers:
Thanks!

If you can keep the roots out of the impeller it might work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or stick the Pothos in a corner of the tank.

If you Google you'll see plenty of posts about planting your filter.

I haven't done it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Or stick the Pothos in a corner of the tank.

If you Google you'll see plenty of posts about planting your filter.

I haven't done it myself.

Yeah, that's what I've done for now. I did a bunch of research yesterday and it seems like the general opinion is the plants grow better and work as a nitrate filter better when placed in the actually filter. I saw a lot of information and photos of the results, but not a whole lot of step by step information about how to go about doing it, especially for beginners and for my specific filter. I'll keep looking, just thought I'd check on this forum too. Thanks!

Hello Fishy...

If the purpose of putting the plant roots in the filter is to filter the tank water, then don't bother. The roots won't use much of the nitrogen from the dissolved fish waste. The plants must be larger and have a large root ball. Pothos house plants don't get big enough to do that job. If you want a plant that will removed nitrogen from the tank water and not just one that serves as a conversation piece, then research a house plant called Chinese evergreen.

B

Hello Fishy...

If the purpose of putting the plant roots in the filter is to filter the tank water, then don't bother. The roots won't use much of the nitrogen from the dissolved fish waste. The plants must be larger and have a large root ball. Pothos house plants don't get big enough to do that job. If you want a plant that will removed nitrogen from the tank water and not just one that serves as a conversation piece, then research a house plant called Chinese evergreen.

B

Cool! Does that have to go in the filter? Or can it just go in the tank? Just the roots, or do you submerge the whole plant? Thanks so much for the suggestion. I've been avoiding work and doing research for an hour now, lol.

Just a note as you probably know, a lot of these common house plants that grow the best, are also poisonous if ingested so make sure no young children or cats or dogs chew on these.

Small Shrimp or Fish can't chew through them. I'd hesitate to use them with Goldfish or bigger fish unless it's only in the Filter.

Just a note as you probably know, a lot of these common house plants that grow the best, are also poisonous if ingested so make sure no young children or cats or dogs chew on these.

Small Shrimp or Fish can't chew through them. I'd hesitate to use them with Goldfish or bigger fish unless it's only in the Filter.

Got it. Right now I just have guppies, corys and an oto, I'm assuming they won't eat them? Looking to get some cherry barbs and maybe a dwarf gourami soon.

A store my pops used to frequent has tons of pothos growing out the back of their aquariums. I always thought it looked cool

Back
Top Bottom