Planted Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podge387

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 FW and 1 SW in progress ad am looking into starting a planted tank, i am wondering what equipment you need to start a planted tank. Lights, substrate, and Co2 if it is necesarry.

you'll need at Least 2 wpg, shoot for 2.5 wpg... 3 wpg and you'll need co2. 30 gallon tank and up and you'll need pressurized co2, below that you can do cheap and super easy DIY co2. Substrate: eco complete, flourite, or flora base. what size tank were you thinking about? are you making on of your existing tanks into a planted one?

haha i got a 29 gallon. no pressureized c02 for me haha. plus its not going to be planted

I have a 55 gallon with plain gravel, no CO2, 1.5 wpg. I recently planted it with a couple anubias species, a bunch of crypts and a couple java ferns I'm already seeing growth from all of the plants, one of the larger crypts has even sent out runners and there are some daughter plants poking out of the gravel next to it. I use flourish to fertilize the water and flourish tabs near the bases of the crypts. It's not at all heavily planted but it's more interesting than fake plants and looks nice IMO. What's the point of my post? Just that if you pick the right plants you can have a pleasing planted tank without the cost and hassle of a higher light faster growing setup.

i was thinking of turning my 29 gallon which is currently non-planted into one what is your advice for this? thanx

How much work do you want to do on a semi-weekly basis and what is your budget?

my budget is like $150 for plants, gravel, bulbs and more for anything else and about 1 hour to an hour and a half a week cause i have lots of other tanks to tend to on a weekly basis.

My advice is go with a 20 gallon or so tank with 2 wpg and no CO2. Even then you will be straining the budget. As for plants go with slower growing plants like Crypts, Java Fern, and Anubias.

Back
Top Bottom