Planted tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richard8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I am in need of some help. I will keep it short, my new 320ltr tank is having an issue. We have no abnormal water testing with a ph of 7.6 (I know it's too high a co2 system going in soon). But my issue is I have something all over my plants and I don't know what it is. Any help please as I am getting stressed, not sure if my filter is big enough or something. Also the water looks cloudy. Thanks for your help ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424946556.462628.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi all, I am in need of some help. I will keep it short, my new 320ltr tank is having an issue. We have no abnormal water testing with a ph of 7.6 (I know it's too high a co2 system going in soon). But my issue is I have something all over my plants and I don't know what it is. Any help please as I am getting stressed, not sure if my filter is big enough or something. Also the water looks cloudy. Thanks for your help View attachment 265529

Hi Richard

The algae is most likely a bacterial, microscopic heterotrophic bacteria suspended in the water Column. It's completely harmless and normal. Soon they will settle and adhere to the surfaces within the tank and the water will clear. They say that at this time dissolved oxygen is lowered because of the bacterial activity in the water column. I've never come across a case where this impacts the fish directly.

The stuff on your plants looks like some kind of filamentous algae the may develop under the right conditions such as nutrient rich water and lighting conditions. Again harmless and will probably die down when things stabilise. Look up diatoms too which are common in new setups.

Good luck

Thank you for your help

I meant to say the cloudy water at the start not the algae. The cloudy water is bacteria bloom.

Your Tank

Hello rich...

Algae takes many forms. It thrives in water with high nitrates and phosphates. These nutrients are mainly from too much dissolved fish or plant food in the water. You can introduce some floating plants. Anacharis (Brazilian water weed), Hornwort and Pennywort. Just drop some individual stems into the tank. They'll use the added nutrients. You need to keep the tank water extra clean, by changing out at least half the tank's volume every week, to remove excess nutrients.

Keep the water clear of dissolved wastes and you remove the food source for the algae.

B

Look likes you got a bacterial bloom or algae bloom.

There's nothing to do with bacterial bloom, this mean you may have a cycle trouble. The situation will resolve by itself in 1 week. I would monitor ammonia and nitrites if I was you.

But algae bloom is caused by excess lighting.
What's your photoperiod, sometime algae bloom (green cloudy water) looks like a bacterial bloom (white cloudy water), and it's cause by excess lighting. So photoperiod = How long you keep lights ON versus OFF ? Are you on a timer for lights ? I had this problem when I added powerfull lighting system to my tank, here a picture of my tank two years ago:
83698-albums13095-picture60886.jpg

The water look like white cloudy, but after I put some water in a white bucket, we can clearly see:
83698-albums13095-picture60889.jpg

I can refer you to the old thread I started : http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/water-is-very-very-cloudy-275351.html

For the white thing on your vals, I don't know what it is... I would have say staghorn algae, but it's too white. UPDATE: After few researches, I conclude to staghorn algae lol:
staghorn1_tb.jpg

About PH and CO2:
PH is not causing that, don't but CO2 only for PH, this is a very bad idea. Before going to CO2, analyse light you have, tank size and deep. Also the CO2 won't work if you don't have a canister filter.
Give us your KH° value, and I'll tell you if you got a normal PH according to the KH. Don't try to lower PH using PH-, you may kill your fishs. Also CO2 won't drop as much your PH as you think... In my case, dosing tons of CO2 drop my PH from 6.8 to 6.6... Not a great change for a low KH tank.

What's your tank size ? And what lighting system ? (Watts, fluos?, T5 or T8, maybe T5HO ?)

Can you awnsers theses ? I will calculate your light/tank values.

Exact tank dimensions (I mean the HxWxL)
What's photoperiod?
What's lighting system?
Timer?
Water KH°
Water PH in same time testing KH?
Ammonia reading ?
Nitrite readings ?

I meant to say the cloudy water at the start not the algae. The cloudy water is bacteria bloom.

Cloudy doesn't nessecarly mean White cloudy... This could be Green Cloudy water (algae bloom)...

Hi, the ammonia is 0 and the kh is 100-200 ppm. The light is on a timeer and on for 10hrs (recommended by the fish shop). We are using a fluval p48. Thank you so much for your help. Ps nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 20.

Hi, the ammonia is 0 and the kh is 100-200 ppm. The light is on a timeer and on for 10hrs (recommended by the fish shop). We are using a fluval p48. Thank you so much for your help. Ps nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 20.

Reread the entire thing I posted, I edited it so much...
100-200ppm is really not precise, this mean between 5.5 -11 dKH°

Let's say for alk, 7 dKH°, this PH (7.6) would be normal.

As it is LED lighting system, I can't calculate your light ratio.

According to your results, I would say: Do as I did, do a water change, put old tank water in a white bucket during the WC... you'll see if it's white or green ;)

Sorry, the drops are the dkh, it was 8 drops. 1230mmx460mmx620mm

Sorry, the drops are the dkh, it was 8 drops. 1230mmx460mmx620mm

So, according to your KH results, your PH seems Ok, but CO2 concentration low according to this chart.

co2chart.jpg

Do you have a canister filter or HOB ?

Tell me when you do the white bucket water color test.

Thank you for your help, I have to go to work so will do that tonight. Thank you again. Ps it's an ehime canister 2073 filter

Thank you for your help, I have to go to work so will do that tonight. Thank you again. Ps it's an ehime canister 2073 filter

Eheim canister is very good for CO2 injection, I inject my CO2 directly to my Eheim 2213 intake :D

As you can see in my tank video:

Cloudy doesn't nessecarly mean White cloudy... This could be Green Cloudy water (algae bloom)...

I know this thank you. Recently setup and cloudy water = most likely bacterial bloom which I think is what I said.

I know this thank you. Recently setup and cloudy water = most likely bacterial bloom which I think is what I said.

Yes, was a good guess.. I'm curious to see what the white bucket test gives as result :p... My tank was new too when this happened to me.

Yes, was a good guess.. I'm curious to see what the white bucket test gives as result :p... My tank was new too when this happened to me.

Yeah I guess since the tank appears to be cycled it does sound more like green water :)

Hi all just got home from work, water change was done on wenesday 50% of the tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425019184.832767.jpg

Hi all, yes we have drift wood (logs with Anubias already growing on it, purchased from the LFS. Things are getting worse more build up everywhere. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425367234.511401.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425367261.516564.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425367301.865836.jpg help please, what can I add/do. Worried my filter is not big enough for the tank as its was thick in brown sludge 1 week after cleaning it. Do I strip the tank down clean and reset? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425367234.511401.jpg

Brown sludge sounds like diatoms algae...It's common with new tanks. Just be patient. Keep up your feet dosing and light requirements.

When you do your water change clean your filter in the tank water you have taken out. Should help a little

Back
Top Bottom