Planted tank lighting-for dummies- help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm setting up a 20 gallon heavy planted tank in the summer for dwarf puffers. I'm a real dummy on lighting, help me out? It's going to be a 2 bulb light fixture. What type of bulbs would I need to qualify me As "high lighting"? I want to be able to grow dwarf hair grass. And some other plants. Thanks.

Fluorescent. I want strong lighting though, so I can keep many different plants.

Could you send me a link, I don't really understand. Lol.

you have to upgrade fixtures, you can't just put in bulbs and get high light, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what exact fixture you have now, but if it's not a t5 or t5ho then you'll need to upgrade to one in order to get the light intensity that you want.

I was going to buy an eclipse hood for the 20 gallon. (maybe even a 29 gallon not sure yet)

Dylan5359 said:
I'm setting up a 20 gallon heavy planted tank in the summer for dwarf puffers. I'm a real dummy on lighting, help me out? It's going to be a 2 bulb light fixture. What type of bulbs would I need to qualify me As "high lighting"? I want to be able to grow dwarf hair grass. And some other plants. Thanks.

Go to www.fishneedit.com for a good price on lighting to get into high light plants which you can find here www.plantgeek.net. It'll save you some cash for the pressurized co2 system you'll want :D.

I really wanted to stay away from c02. Mostly because I don't think I'm ready for it. :b And would I need something like a 10000 K or higher? Does the color matter?

Wattage is more important if you stay from 4500 to 10000 I do not think it makes much of a difference at all. If you go high light you need CO2, otherwise it is just an algae fight all the time. You will also need to dose ferts.

Back
Top Bottom