Planted tank struggling. A few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! I'm working on my 55gal., low tech, planted tank. I have a 48 inch, 2 bulb Aquatic Life T5HO. I just added a 48" T8 with a Reptisun bulb.(just because it was laying around) I have various sword, crypts, vals, Brazilian penneywort, water lillies, and some very unhealthy looking ludwigia(I think). I'm dosing Excel daily and using Seachem root tabs. There is an airstone going. I'm seeing some plants having leggy growth, some at a standstill, and some are melting. Is my airstone counteracting the Excel? Can I remove the airstone and still have enough oxygen for the fish? My filter is a Fluval 406 with a spraybar set vertically(it doesn't agitate the surface much). I could remove the spraybar and put the original outlet back on. Temp is at 81. If fish aren't getting enough O2, how will I know?

Thanks for any and all help.

The bubbler won't affect the Excel. Are yo dosing any ferts besides the root tabs? If not you need to at least dose something like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive 1 or 2 times a week. I have two 55g tanks and I run a Fluval 406 and a large HOB on the other end of the tank. IMO you don't need the bubbler and you can turn your tank down to around 78 unless you have discus. Fish will be gasping at the surface for air if there isn't enough oxygen in the water.

There are some plants that don't like that high a temp same as with some fish. I don't see the need for such a high temp unless you have speciality fish or are treating an illness.

Thanks to you Rivercats, I finally have the plant melting stage over and am finally seeing growth. I'm dosing dry ferts daily. Since starting the dry ferts, I stopped using Flourish Excel, because I wanted to see the difference the ferts made. I really like what I see so far. So now, I'm afraid to use the Excel for fear of throwing things off and melting plants again. How do I know if I need the Excel, and how often should I use it? I have heard that some people use it less than daily.

I have medium light, Ecocomplete, 78 degrees, root tabs, dry ferts.

I think the melting was due to several factors ie: temp, transplant shock, lack of ferts.

Thanks for any advice!

image-3345362939.jpg

image-1642117573.jpg

These are the current pics.

I use a heavy dosage of liquid carbon daily without plant issues. I only lasts in the tank water 12-24 hours and when you use it- it aids plants in photosynthesis and growth which makes them use more nutrients out of the water. The few plants that are not Excel tolerant completely melt and don't come back. I don't think the Excel was the problem so much as being planted and having to acclimate was.

Ok. I had just read a lot of conflicting info on excel causing melting. Now that things are working, I'm being cautious.
Thanks!

Ok. I had just read a lot of conflicting info on excel causing melting. Now that things are working, I'm being cautious.
Thanks!

Excel does melt some plants for sure, it's ability as an effective algaecide testifies to that. Still a nice product in lieu of pressurized co2. There is only a few species that get regular reports of melting, vals and anacharis are two off the top of my head.

My main melting plants were Brazilian penneywort, unknown type of Val, and ludwigia.

Is it okay to dose Excel like 3 times a week?

The funny thing about Val and Excel is Jungle Val's seem to be ultra sensitive to the Excel and yet I have Corkscrew Val and do a high dosing of Glut (Excel like product) daily and have never had any of it melt.

I've used it with Ludwigia's and never had issues but I don't mess with Pennywort so can't say on that one. You can use it as you want, it will give better results when used daily tho. Have you thought about starting out using 1/2 dose daily?

Rivercats said:
The funny thing about Val and Excel is Jungle Val's seem to be ultra sensitive to the Excel and yet I have Corkscrew Val and do a high dosing of Glut (Excel like product) daily and have never had any of it melt.

I know what I had was not the jungle variety. It was probably bad plants to begin with because my new Val's are looking great and growing fast. They are Italian Vals. I do have jungle Vals in my other tank. So maybe I'll just try excel in the one tank.

Rivercats said:
I've used it with Ludwigia's and never had issues but I don't mess with Pennywort so can't say on that one. You can use it as you want, it will give better results when used daily tho. Have you thought about starting out using 1/2 dose daily?

I'll try that. Thanks!

Excel does melt some plants for sure, it's ability as an effective algaecide testifies to that. Still a nice product in lieu of pressurized co2. There is only a few species that get regular reports of melting, vals and anacharis are two off the top of my head.

If excel is an algaecide does that make is bad for Oto's?

(Sorry if I'm cutting in.)

I dose Glut/Excel very heavily due to high lighting and tons of plants. I have 18 Oto's, 3 Whiptail cats, and an Albino longfin bristlenose Pleco and they have all been fine over a year.

From what I have gathered from hours of reading is start excel at half of what is called for the after cpl weeks increase to 75% then watch if all is good in a cpl weeks full dose.

.......... not yet tested by me..........

You can go "upto" double or better dosing IF high light and heavy planted 80% or better of substrate covered.

.......... Again just what I read NOT done.....

Hope this helps. And rivercats is a guru on excel.

Back
Top Bottom