Planted Tank upgrade and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds awesome, I'll have to try that :)
Ok so I think I figured out a solution for my CO2. It's amazing what a clean diffuser can do. After a bleach soak the bubbles are much smaller, making them spread around the tank easier. I still kept the little powerhead but put it over by my heater. It still creates a good current and helps distribute the heat from my heater, but doesn't blow my plants around.
Still having trouble getting my phosphate up though :/ http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...F-E9F3-4423-9276-B5729BD4E48C_zpsejqal24m.jpg
This is after adding 3 more grams of the phosphate to my macro mix (double the recommended amount) and doing a second dose. How much phosphate do you guys normally add to your mix?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

One solution could simply be to feed a bit more. Thats how a lot of the phosphate gets in your water anyway. It's not exactly long term just food for thought I guess.

Thanks, but my plants are already pearling :) my main concern is getting the nutrient balance correct so that my reds will color up and I can get rid of this hair and black dust algae.

No I don't doubt that I was just adding some food for thought. It really shows a lot about how pearling works and what it is.

Thanks, but my plants are already pearling :) my main concern is getting the nutrient balance correct so that my reds will color up and I can get rid of this hair and black dust algae.

For me its hair and BBA :(
Have not tested the trates and phosphates in a while. Might be out of whack. Especially since I started adding KNO3 again.

For me its hair and BBA :(
Have not tested the trates and phosphates in a while. Might be out of whack. Especially since I started adding KNO3 again.

I might have BBA too... :/ I'm not very good at identifying it. And plus it makes it harder when fish have kinda picked at it and eaten it shorter. What is your dosing regimen like fresh2o? Do you make any changes to the "recipe"?
I've changed my photoperiod back to a normal straight 7 hours, seems like the algae got worse when I started doing the siesta period. Although of course there are a lot of variables that I have changed all at once so it's really hard to pinpoint cause and effect :/

I'm using the default PPS Pro amounts. The only deviations I have done was to put KNO3 in it own bottle and double dosing the macros and micros. But I've also stepped back to regular doses. I really need to test so that I can stabilize my fert routine.

Why did you double the micros? There's no way to test for those is there? I mean I suppose you could calculate the ppm.

Why did you double the micros? There's no way to test for those is there? I mean I suppose you could calculate the ppm.

Based on the plant density, I was advised to double the micros by a more experienced member on this forum. True, no real way to test for it.
Tbh, balancing ferts, carbon, and light can be a challenging task. I'm looking at my shrimp tank right now. Full of crypts, moss, and some dwarf sag. Plants grow slowly but they are growing. No traces of algae. I add no ferts or carbon. Just root pellets every month if I remember to do so. True, it does not have the diversity and color as my planted tank. But it is so simple.
Back in task, I will try to test the N and K this morning to see how far I have drifted off.

I tested the nitrate and phosphate and in the last 3 months, there was very little change in both. Nitrate went from 10 ppm to 10+ ppm. Phosphate stayed the same at 2 ppm. Macros and micros are dosed at the recommended daily level (1mL/10gl). KNO3 the same but every other day. Will stick to this and try to retest each week to see if anything changes.

Kuhligirl, what phosphate test kit are you using and do you like it? I'm thinking of getting one (if I need it, and it appears its helpful) and I don't know which to get.

Thanks.

I tested the nitrate and phosphate and in the last 3 months, there was very little change in both. Nitrate went from 10 ppm to 10+ ppm. Phosphate stayed the same at 2 ppm. Macros and micros are dosed at the recommended daily level (1mL/10gl). KNO3 the same but every other day. Will stick to this and try to retest each week to see if anything changes.

It's interesting that the default 1ml/10g has gotten you to 2ppm phosphate but it only gets me to .5ppm or less...

Kuhligirl, what phosphate test kit are you using and do you like it? I'm thinking of getting one (if I need it, and it appears its helpful) and I don't know which to get.

Thanks.

Yes, it is API. It's fine I guess. I don't really have any other type of test to compare it to, but it's definitely difficult to distinguish the color differences between 0, .25, and .5 ppm.

Apologies for my crappy suggestion..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406302977276.jpg
    1406302977276.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 46
Haha it turned your tank into a bubble blizzard too??

Personlly I dont have one nor do I know much about them but if you have a pond and would like to contribute by being a moderator of the outdoor pond forum please private message me or e-mail me.

It was like Narnia in there haha..

What is that that you quoted?

I have no idea where that came from?? Glitch in the matrix. .

Back
Top Bottom