Planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
My mts is getting out of hand now, but I like the look of a planted tank. I have been inspired by some of the awesome tanks that have been posted. Is a CO2 diffuser neccessary for a planted tank? Besides a filter and heater, is there any other equipment that is NEEDED. I have a 29 gal community tank with 2 angels, 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 corys, and a silver dollar. There is a Penguin 330 for a filter and a bubble screen across the back. I really don't want to buy any more equipment. I have a SW tank and I have an empty 30 gal that will be a reef, so money is TIGHT, as is space to put all these tanks. Any help is appreciated.

moved to planted forum

I suggest you start by reading the stickies at the top of the planted forum page.

Basicly if you don't want an expensive one all you would really need is the plants and good lighting. I really would only use a co2 diffuser if you had a big tank and a whole lot of plants. My 10 gal planted is just fine,all i use to help the plants are additives. Im using tetra-flora, not only does it make your plants grow twice as fast but it also makes them much greener and for some fish it changes theyre color a bit. Don't know why but i also have a silver dollar ( getting rid of) and instead of being silver now its a yellowish green color and its fins are pinkish red.

Hopefully you've read the sticky's and have a grasp on what is involved with a planted tank.

With the equipment you have now, the only problem would be with your existing light strip. You can do a nice low-light, low-maintenance tank but you need at minimum 1wpg. The tanks that probably caught your eye are significantly higher in wattage (@ 2wpg or more) and in that event, CO2 injection/diffusing is a neccessity as well as the addition of ferts.

No I didn't read the stickys :oops: . BUT I will, as soon as I am done writing this. :D

You silver dollar will chomp on the plants. I kinda consider them to be like vegetarian paranahs.

Back
Top Bottom