Planted Tanks Going in a New Direction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBradbury

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA...

Thought an update on my biotope/terraphyte tanks was in order and possibly some updated pics later this week. I've emersed the root balls of three land plants in the tank water, in an effort to reduce the need for large, weekly water changes. The roots take in all forms of nitrogen produced by the fish and maintain a balanced water chemistry. I just add a little liquid "Flora Pride" from Tetra, when I top off the tanks.

The supposed slow growing, land plants: Aglaonema, Philodendron and Pothos are growing surprisingly fast and the Aglaonema is putting out multiple blossoms. The leaves on all the plants are large and healthy with no more than long hours of ambient light.

After a short water testing period, I've found I no longer need to test. The tanks continue to have new batches of fry every few weeks, so the water must stay pollution free.

The aquatic plants have continued to grow well despite the high concentration of oxygen from the airpumps, for the benefit of the land plant roots. The Pennywort is growing between the leaves of the land plants and out of the tanks.

Just an update for my benefit, so I can keep my observations straight. Read if you like.

B

Two questions.

1) What were your nitrates testing at?
2) How are your lights set up such that you can properly light a nice canopy like you're describing?

Sounds nifty. I've always wanted to try a similar thing on a smaller scale, with terrarium plants in the media box of a HOB filter.

Nitrate Question

Two questions.

1) What were your nitrates testing at?
2) How are your lights set up such that you can properly light a nice canopy like you're describing?

Sounds nifty. I've always wanted to try a similar thing on a smaller scale, with terrarium plants in the media box of a HOB filter.

Hello aqua...

Nitrates were at 10 ppm the last time I tested, a few weeks ago. I could never keep them that low when I was changing half the water in the tanks every week. The tanks range in size from 38 to 55 Gs. The tank lights are a standard two bulb fixture with T5s and LEDs. The fixtures rest on a standard glass canopy. I just have several pole lamps set next to each tank. There are 5 tanks.

I do have standard mechanical filtration (HOBs) as a backup at night, when the plants slow their version of the filtration process. So now, once a week, I just remove a few gallons of tank water to service the HOBs and top off the tanks a couple of times a week to replace water lost to evaporation.

The land plants have been in the tanks for about two months or so, with no water chemistry issue.

Thanks for your interest. I'll see if I can post some pics a little later.

B

Different Planted Tanks (Pics)

Hello again AA...

Attached are pics of some tanks that are essentially, self-sustaining. Water changes amount to about 5 gallons per tank, less than 10 percent of the tank volume. This size water change would never work for a normal tank. But, by emersing the roots of certain land plants, their roots use the toxins the fish produce for food and maintain balanced water properties.

The small water changes, maintain the standard filtration that runs 24/7. The time spent changing tank water is reduced by about 80 percent.

Other benefits include: no visible algae, no large snail populations, there are no excess nutrients in the tank water. No high end lighting needed and no need to overfilter the tank. Plants grow quickly in a heavily stocked tank.

B

Attachments

• P9010337.jpg
    P9010337.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 335
  • P9010342.jpg
    P9010342.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 147
  • P9010340.jpg
    P9010340.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 233
Biotope Tank

Hello again aqua...

You're right, a similar idea. Biotope, riparium and terraphyte are similar setups. All have an environment with plants and animals living in specific, natural conditions.

I think the terraphyte tanks may take a different approach in that you're moving a naturally land living plant and putting it into aquatic conditions.

A fine line, but interesting. All I know for certain, is I used to spend hours on water changes and now it's closer to minutes.

B

Back
Top Bottom