Planted water and land tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz_0401

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums I have been keeping fish for a few years, but am looking in to trying something new. I would like to set up a partial land and water tank. My local aquatic reptile shop has one that has newts mudskippers frogs and anoles all in one. What is everyones opinion on this?

I have a 20gallon tall I plan to use is this large enough? I would also like suggestions on what keep in it and also on some semi aquatic plants? And any other additional equipment I would need and tips:)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would switch that with a 20 long, the high wastes gallonage that way and you'd be able to use a lot more of the space with a 20 long. Not many animals I know that you could do that will go both land and water except fiddler crabs and mudskippers and the usual, but you could do fire belly toads and a few fish. I don't know if that would work or if the FBT would eat fish. If you're willing to do a 40b+ tank you could do a musk turtle. Turtles are really cool IMO

I wanted the height for the anoles and frogs. Plus its a tank I already have. I know that's what my local aquatic shop uses newts and mudskippers don't need much water and I'm not looking to put any fish in it. Although fiddler crabs would be neat I forgot the has those in the tank also.

I wanted the height for the anoles and frogs. Plus its a tank I already have. I know that's what my local aquatic shop uses newts and mudskippers don't need much water and I'm not looking to put any fish in it. Although fiddler crabs would be neat I forgot the has those in the tank also.

Fiddler crabs are brackish. Please do not keep them in a tank with only fresh water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok Nigel thank you! I wouldn't think of keeping brackish in fresh water I was unaware they were brackish. Although I've received great advice on this forum I always make sure to do my own research before making any final decisions could you suggest any freshwater crabs?

Ok Nigel thank you! I wouldn't think of keeping brackish in fresh water I was unaware they were brackish. Although I've received great advice on this forum I always make sure to do my own research before making any final decisions could you suggest any freshwater crabs?

Yeah, most places sell them as freshwater because it sells a lot more than brackish. They can live long enough in freshwater to void any return guarantees but can only live about 1/5 of their actual lifespan if forced into freshwater.

I think crabs would be risky if you're trying to house reptiles or amphibians in there as well. Most are pretty territorial and with the small footprint of a 20 high there isn't much territory for them to share. Halloween crabs may be something to look into if you're looking at going crab only. It may be worth hitting the invertebrate section on here and seeing what other people have.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom