Planting a dirted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nygbrian9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've recently started my first dirted tank, and I am completely unsure of how to plant it.

The tank has 1 inch of miracle grow, capped with 1 inch of Eco complete.
Once I begin adding plants to the tank, how deep do I go with the roots? Am I supposed to push it to dirt level, and plant the roots in the soil? Or plant the plants within the one inch of Eco-complete, and expect the roots to reach the dirt on their own?

Sorry for the simple question, I've tried looking this up everywhere, and I just don't know how to scape my plants the correct (dirted way) and without making a muddy mess.

Thanks for your help.

Additional tank info:
20 gal tall
-height: 16 inch
-width: 12 inch
-length: 24 inches

CO2: yes

Ferts: GLA's pps pro

Lights: finnex planted plus

Hi all,

I've recently started my first dirted tank, and I am completely unsure of how to plant it.

The tank has 1 inch of miracle grow, capped with 1 inch of Eco complete.
Once I begin adding plants to the tank, how deep do I go with the roots? Am I supposed to push it to dirt level, and plant the roots in the soil? Or plant the plants within the one inch of Eco-complete, and expect the roots to reach the dirt on their own?

Sorry for the simple question, I've tried looking this up everywhere, and I just don't know how to scape my plants the correct (dirted way) and without making a muddy mess.

Thanks for your help.

Additional tank info:
20 gal tall
-height: 16 inch
-width: 12 inch
-length: 24 inches

CO2: yes

Ferts: GLA's pps pro

Lights: finnex planted plus

It really doesn't matter how deep you plant them, just enough to hold them down until they form roots which will eventually reach the dirt layer. (y)

Thanks so much for your replies guys.
So I'll just be burying my plants enough to keep them down.. While avoiding reaching the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom