Planting cuttings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have tied plants on the rock or driftwood. And bought plants in little plastic cages with cotton wool around the root. But I just received some cuttings and realized I have no idea what I should use to hold 4/5 cuttings together and get this to stay in the substrate and not float up as soon as I let it go.

It there a thread somewhere titled "Idiots Guide to Planting Cuttings?"

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this for stem plants? I usually just shove them in the substrate individually and hope they stay.

Generally the same approach :)

Probably over 80% or maybe 90% take root. I'll also sprinkle some gravel over the plant once planted as this seems to weigh it down for a day or so and allow it to take root.

I've been grouping some which I don't think is ideal for growth but they seem to grow better (or are more protected from fish) growing as a 'thicket'.

Ok I have tied plants on the rock or driftwood. And bought plants in little plastic cages with cotton wool around the root. But I just received some cuttings and realized I have no idea what I should use to hold 4/5 cuttings together and get this to stay in the substrate and not float up as soon as I let it go.

It there a thread somewhere titled "Idiots Guide to Planting Cuttings?"

For most plants (particularly stems) a nice set of long tweezers help a great deal. Just grab the stem and push it in to the substrate. Let go and remove the tweezers. Job done.

For most plants (particularly stems) a nice set of long tweezers help a great deal. Just grab the stem and push it in to the substrate. Let go and remove the tweezers. Job done.

Like eating with chopsticks, it's easier said than done until you've quite a bit of practice. I'm sure my neighbors heard my wearing as I'd use tweezers to plant plants in gravel, release the tweezers and remove them... and up would come the plant. :banghead:

I've found shaking the tweezers a little bit to bring down some gravel while removing them can help secure the plant.

I think I'm just being to gentle and have to do it and quit pussyfooting around.

Like eating with chopsticks, it's easier said than done until you've quite a bit of practice. I'm sure my neighbors heard my wearing as I'd use tweezers to plant plants in gravel, release the tweezers and remove them... and up would come the plant. :banghead:

I've found shaking the tweezers a little bit to bring down some gravel while removing them can help secure the plant.

I get the plants and root tabs popping back up as well without kind of twisting it a bit.

Gone back to mostly using fingers.

Do your tweezers have a grip on the tips? This happens to me sometimes but I am using operating theatre tweezers and they have a ribbed grip. I think proper Aqua scaping tweezers are smooth at the tip which stops them being pulled back out as you lift the tweezers.

Do your tweezers have a grip on the tips? This happens to me sometimes but I am using operating theatre tweezers and they have a ribbed grip. I think proper Aqua scaping tweezers are smooth at the tip which stops them being pulled back out as you lift the tweezers.

(Goes and checks) In fact, both mine do. Hmmm....:rolleyes:

I find that gravel size can also help or hinder you when planting cuttings. I started out with 5mm gravel and couldn't get cuttings to stay planted. I switched to 2mm pebbles and they grip the plants a lot better when you poke them into the substrate.

Planting cuttings in a clump can also mean the substrate is all pushed aside by the number of stems. Maybe try planting with a bit if space.

That's true on the gravel pushing with clumped plants. Bit of a pain.

I have also increased the amount of gravel and plant substrate as well. I find the extra depth helps to keep the stems in place until roots develop.

That's true on the gravel pushing with clumped plants. Bit of a pain.

I have also increased the amount of gravel and plant substrate as well. I find the extra depth helps to keep the stems in place until roots develop.

True. If you have enough substrate you can often poke the plants in deep enough to cover a leaf or two which can anchor it till roots develop.

My substrate is glass and large. I was able to get it all potted up yesterday and in the tank. I used elastic bands to gently hold the clumps together. Popped in a root tab and added the clump and some substrate. So far so good. Still planted this morning. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465656965.506365.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465657000.422920.jpg

The pots allow me to move things around and vacuum well without disturbing the roots.

Back
Top Bottom