Planting narrow leaf java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I received these as extras in a plant package recently, and I'm not exactly sure how to plant these. I don't really know how I would tie them to a rock because they are so small, and I don't have driftwood to put them on

I've heard you're not supposed to bury these, so I'm a little leery of putting them in substrate. Right now they're pinched between some rocks and roots are in the water column. I wasn't sure if this would work and they're not looking great right now after a day.

So some help here would be appreciated. Thanks

I guess I should make sure this is narrow leaf java fern?

Attachments

• image-4131384770.jpg
    image-4131384770.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 73
I'll snap a picture when I get home. It had fairly long pale roots that hung straight down even when submerged, not a lot of sway if that makes sense. The roots were as long as the stem, minus the wider leaf.

My concern is that it looks more like a crypt than a fern, but you'll be able to tell by the rhizome.

Here it is

Attachments

• image-4122207505.jpg
    image-4122207505.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 64
Yup, looks like a crypt to me. Plop it into the substrate such that the top of the rhizome (the little bulb at the bottom) is just peeking out and call it good. Crypts pretty much don't care about anything as long as they're planted.

Well that's interesting. I guess I was only assuming java fern because the person I bought from didn't mention crypts in their repertoire.

They're currently in the substrate. With what I believe is their rhizome above. They're pretty small

Back
Top Bottom