Plants are pearling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Plants are pearling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy cow...just got home from work and my tank is pearling. I had never seen this before. I can in and there were tiny air bubbles rising from three different areas in the tank. And air bubble on the surface of many of these plants leaves. Most noticeably the wisteria and the pennywort.

I was a bit confused at first by where the air could be coming from as I only have the HOB filter going and both plants are on the farthest end of the tank. I wtached it for about 20 minutes in awe before googling and read up about "pearling".
Pearling - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

I finally feel like a good aquarium keeper :D. I just wish my camera battery was charged so that I could take a picture right now.

Edit: I could not get picture of the pennywort because the fish think I am trying to feed them and keep getting in the way. But here is a pictuer of the wisteria.

Attachments

• wisteria pearling.jpg
    wisteria pearling.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 84
yea...I had no idea that pearling happened. It has stopped now that the lights are off, but it was really pretty to see all of the bubbles on the plants and the bubbles rising through the water. I hope that it happens more and that I can get some pictures. Just before the lights went off I could see a little pearling on the clover too. :D

I am so excited....the tank is pearling again tonight :D. I tried to take pictures but most have big angelfish tail in them ...grrrr....here are the ones I could get.

There are pearls on the wisteria and pennywort again and also pearls on the java fern and all over the purple cabomba and rotala. My tank looks like it is filled with champaign. I am so happy. The rotala and cabomba are planted at the back of my tank and unfortunately the angelfish are very interested in the camera.

Attachments

• java pearling.jpg
    java pearling.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 117
  • pennywort pearls.jpg
    pennywort pearls.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 82
It confirms what I always thought......You are awesome!!!!

Spoon ...YOU are awesome! I love how positive you always are. Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement.

Everything has been great in the tank with pearling almost everynight since it started. It is really amazing what injected CO2 can do :). I don't even have a fancy set up. I am just using a commercially available DIY kinda setup from Nutrafin. The only prob I have seen so far is that I noticed some staghorn algae...just a little on my amazon sword. I think this might have come about when I went on vacation and there was no CO2.

I am dosing the tank now with Excel and running the CO2. Hopefully it will die off soon. I read that pretty much no fish or invert will eat staghorn algae.

Back
Top Bottom