Plants Curling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, some of my plants in my 75 gallon are curling, the leaves are starting to curl either up or down the only plants doing this are the crypt and some of my anubias does anyone know whats going on? thanks.

I haven't been dosing anything both new and old leaves I don't have anything to test gH and kH and my pH is 7

here's what they look like

Attachments

• f.JPG
    f.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 2,804
  • IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,803
  • IMG_2013.JPG
    IMG_2013.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 2,824
Curling can be a lack of gH, so Ca and Mg. Because you have a pH of 7.0, you may want to consider bumping gH up by 2 degrees with Seachem equilibrium. 1 tbsp per 10 gallons. Do this slowly so as to not stress fish.

You should also look into other fertilizers, maybe Thrive? and dose as per directed to ensure the plants are getting what they need.

Curling can be a lack of gH, so Ca and Mg. Because you have a pH of 7.0, you may want to consider bumping gH up by 2 degrees with Seachem equilibrium. 1 tbsp per 10 gallons. Do this slowly so as to not stress fish.

You should also look into other fertilizers, maybe Thrive? and dose as per directed to ensure the plants are getting what they need.
I agree with ZxC, calcium deficiency is a big cause of curling leaves. Even calcium deficiency causes problems in terrestrial plants...usually premature fruit drop.

thanks, luckily i am going to my LFS today ill look at their fertilizers, hopefully they have what i need.

thanks, luckily i am going to my LFS today ill look at their fertilizers, hopefully they have what i need.
Keep in mind mineral supplements for plants than just general fertilization. They get all the nitrogen they need from nitrates in the tank...even potassium for the most part.

Keep in mind mineral supplements for plants than just general fertilization. They get all the nitrogen they need from nitrates in the tank...even potassium for the most part.

Very broad statement... fertilizers will ensure the plants are receiving what they need, and eliminates any concern over nutrients being the limiting factor in plant growth. A good all in one fertilizer (such as thrive) will serve to improve plant health with no risk to livestock, a worth while investment for any planted tank.

Many tanks also do not provide enough NO3 concentration adequate enough for faster growing plants. My tank for example will certainly bottom out NO3 if I wasn't dosing any KNO3... Plant growth would come to stand still and algae would begin to creep in....

My vote goes to a decent fert program (if OP wants the best for plants)

Very broad statement... fertilizers will ensure the plants are receiving what they need, and eliminates any concern over nutrients being the limiting factor in plant growth. A good all in one fertilizer (such as thrive) will serve to improve plant health with no risk to livestock, a worth while investment for any planted tank.

Many tanks also do not provide enough NO3 concentration adequate enough for faster growing plants. My tank for example will certainly bottom out NO3 if I wasn't dosing any KNO3... Plant growth would come to stand still and algae would begin to creep in....

My vote goes to a decent fert program (if OP wants the best for plants)
Good suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom