Plants in a bottle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doomsday

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the middle of setting up a 46 bow front planted tank and I'm wondering about your experience with petsmart plants in a bottle. Do the live long? How do I go about planting them? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what I've heard, they can be pretty hit or miss. Make sure the species you're looking at is a true aquatic plant, because some of them aren't. I just got an Anubias from a "bottle," and it had healthy leaves, a decently sized rhizome, and enough roots to make me feel like it's going to be just fine. I've also gotten the Bacopa cell culture kind (or whatever they call it) in the plastic baggie with the gel, and they are growing well, too.

When I get true aquatic plants, they seem to do well for me. My amazon swords have lasted three years.

I've had some difficulty in growing cyperus helferi in the paper and plastic envelope. I've found that chopping almost all the leaves off and planting yields the best results, otherwise the leaves rot. However, ymmv.

Been great for me! Bought an Amazon sword and its thriving!! Got an anubias and it had a few bad leaves, but has a good stem and huge roots! Also both an El Niño fern. It was supposed to be 2-4 plants and it was 5 good size ones with good roots. I got one package of the peacock ferns and I wasn't leaving the light on long enough and it is pretty much dead it said it would be 2-4 plants and I got 5.. Did a new tank and was super happy! Said 2-4 plants and I got 9! 8 were really healthy and one wasn't extremely great so I threw it away. But all of the plants I got from there have been nice and have good roots! The Amazon sword didn't have great roots but they are growing roots and have at least doubled in size!

Sent from my iPhone

I got my java fern from petsmart. I had to remove 4 small leaves that where brown, but that was it. Got 2 plants out of the tube, and both plants have new leaves growth(3 on one and 2 on the other)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would recommend getting them there. Also pay the extra bit of money and buy the bigger plants they are usually healthier and will get a better start in your tank!

Sent from my iPhone

They are not the best but if you cannot find anywhere else to buy them, then go ahead. Like others have said, make sure the plant is fully aquatic. Don't listen to what most petsmart employees say about Mondo Grass is fully aquatic or other stuff like that. Also make sure to dip your plants in bleach/peroxide to kill off any pests. Pond snails are almost always attached to those plants.

Don't have anything bad to say about them all mine are thriving. Just make sure you don't pick out dead ones to begin with though.

They actually let me take the half dead ones for free at my location instead of tossing em and I've been able to bring em all back :)

Back
Top Bottom