Plate Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 short tentacle plate corals and just wanted some info on them. First do they need to stay flat? On sand? Do they move? Thanks

Actually the reason I am asking is b/c in the stores I have seen them on the rock and not on the sand and also b/c I have PC I figured on the rock they are closer to the light.

You want to keep this coral on the substrate. They can and do move and will fall off of the rock work. Just give them a good "dusting" every once in a while to keep sand from collecting in the folds

A couple weeks back I asked the IDENTICAL question. I was at work, reading lando's response (same as this one). I set mine on a rock just like the lfs's.

When I got home, bada-bing! There he lay; right on his face! He must have tried to move a bit, or maybe just the swelling may have caused a shift - whatever, it caused him to fall off of the rock. I managed to save him in time but now he resides on the substrate and loves it.

Keep in mind, they swell 2x/3x their contracted size. Mine is about 5" diameter at night. During the day, he's over twice that.

Have you seen my photos of it? The big one looks fine the small one looks like I need to reposition but have no more sand room lol.

The way they are suspended can also lead to irritation and necrosis. The edges of the coral should not come in contact with hard surfaces. The corallites are quite sharp and will easily push through the flesh given time and growth if it remains there.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom