Plated tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irdajoh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20g tall with 2 shrimp and 7 mollies(2 adult,5 fry), under gravel filter and HOB filter. Substrate is a mix of sand and gravel.

I was wondering if it would be a bad idea if I were to aquascape my tank into a plated tank with driftwood & some lava rocks and live plants with a diy co2 system. The tank is fairly new and still developing a stronger biofilter but it is cycled. Would converting be dangerous as long as the fish are in a separate tank for the build. I plan on getting all materials together before doing the project.
I'm aware I need to treat the driftwood and watch the pH carefully.

Is there problems I could run into? What are the best type of hardwood should I look for. Or should I just give up on the project?
All advice welcome and needed!

Your Tank

Hello ird...

The under gravel filter (UFG) is going to create a water chemistry problem when the pores in the filter plug up with sand. This type of filter would work pretty well with pea-sized polished gravel and floating plants only.

I would unplug the the UFG and run the HOB filter only. You'll need to remove and replace half the tank water weekly to maintain a healthy water chemistry.

B

Depending on how much you want to change things in the tank, you can do it with the fish still in the tank, you don't have many. This is what I did when I changed mine, only one half at a time, and it went well.

I don't know if some types of driftwood can cause problems. Some will release tanins, lowering the pH a bit, but that never caused me any problems and eventually there are no more tanins.

I also have a 20g with lava rocks and driftwood. I attached anubias to the wood and rocks, some crypts in the substrat, and some java moss. With a good filter and low bioload, it is very low maintenance and I almost never do water changes. But I must replace evaporated vater with RO water to avoid raising the hardness over time.

I don't think undergravel filters are a good idea, but I never used one.

Back
Top Bottom