Platy coldwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have somebody in my shop today and was having enteral chit chat with them.
We got onto the discussion of fish and he mention he had a cold water tank with no de chlorinate added and no heater.

Will this have a dramatic effect on the fish
Obviously I think it will Murder the fish.

Thanks

I have somebody in my shop today and was having enteral chit chat with them.
We got onto the discussion of fish and he mention he had a cold water tank with no de chlorinate added and no heater.

Will this have a dramatic effect on the fish
Obviously I think it will Murder the fish.

Thanks
Technically, they could probably be fine in a "cold" water tank as most people keep their houses around 70-80 degrees and platies only really require a bare minimum of 72 degrees. However, no dechlorinater it would cause HUGE amounts of stress on the fish unless he used well water...

Nah said he just filled it straight from the tap. Sounds crazy to me. All of it but i looked on other sites and it seems like plates can survive in cold water.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain he's doing his best to kill those fish. Platy's are livebearers and they are fairly hardy as fish go, but I can't imagine them surviving for much longer in that tank. The only reason I'd imagine that they'd survive is because he probably rarely does water changes and the chlorine has already evaporated.

Back
Top Bottom